OT The men who made us fat (BBC programme)

Just spotted it.

As I said it's OT but some might find it interesting.

ARWadsworth

It is.

Although, IMO, we made ourselves fat. No-one forced us to "super-size" our Mickey-Ds and drink the "Big Gulp" with 55 teaspoons of sugar in it.

Reply to
Huge

I blame the Africans. If it wasn't for that cheap slave labour sugar would never have become so cheap and popular.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I recently posted these links on another newsgroup, with a more-international audience than this one. I can't remember, but can non-uk residents access i-player and its programmes? ISTR that there's some sort of restriction.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

>> I recently posted these links on another newsgroup, with a

You need a uk IP address to view the i-player. I am sure there are ways to make it it look like you have one:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Dr Barbara Rolls did a study that proved that eating more food made you fat.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Dogbert's Dieting Book: "How to lose weight by eating less"

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've been trying

on the free trial.

Nice thing is that it appears to be a proxy not a VPN, and the only thing you need to do[1] is to change your client DNS settings (or in your router). No fiddly VPN on embedded devices that cannot support such things.

[1] Well, sometimes clear app data for things like the Netflix app or it gets confused.

I've been trying it watching US Netflix content (using my UK account) on the WII - UK Netflix has a s**te streaming catalogue, the US version is excellent.

But the proxy service claims to be able to serve BBC to the rest of the world in the same way...

Reply to
Tim Watts

>>> I recently posted these links on another newsgroup, with a

There are. When I'm out of the UK I can watch I-player and the ITV player using a proxy server. I don't think of it as 'cheating', as I do have a valid TV licence.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I had no idea that having a UK account allowed access to the US catalogue.

Reply to
S Viemeister

>>> I recently posted these links on another newsgroup, with a

you need a UK proxy.

Falsifying return addresses simply doesn't work if you want to get data BACK...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only if they use a proxy server , which those who know how do.

Reply to
Martin

Expat Shield does it free

Reply to
Martin

It makes it think you are in the US.

Reply to
Martin

??? Yes, I understand what the _proxy_ does - but I thought that UK Netflix _accounts_ only had access to UK Netflix.

I've discovered that a _US_ Netflix account doesn't allow me to access the _UK_ Netflix service (whether I try to access from the UK or the US), but a proxy server would allow me to use a US account from the UK.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Yeah - the accounst seem to be universal.

The decision as to what catalogue you get depends either on how the DNS resolves, and/or what client IP you (appear) to have.

Serving US content depends on having the right client IP.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is it as easy, or does it need client side VPN?

Reply to
Tim Watts

"How to not be a lazy bastard".

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , ARWadsworth writes

What interest would that be to a lithe thin person like me?

Reply to
geoff

The presenter though he was thin too.

Reply to