OT: The future of EV charging?

That and Scargil trying to demonstrate that the union still had the power to bring down governments...

Reply to
John Rumm

And Scargill enjoyed living in a grace-and-favour luxury apartment in the Barbican for many years too.

Reply to
Andrew

But even if they had stayed open, Ed Milibands 2008 Climate Change Act would have been the deathknell for them. Only the Germans, Poles and Greeks are 'allowed' to generate most of their power from 'coal' these days.

Reply to
Andrew

Because in many (newer) houses it is ??, usually with a kitchen sink under a window and connected to an outside drain.

Having an intermediate lobby connecting outside with rest of house and usually allowing entry into the kitchen is a nice feature, but by no means standard.

Reply to
Andrew

True - far better he just roll over and let Thatcher shaft his memebers. Which is what happened eventually anyway. Perhaps you mistake the job a union leader is paid to do?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I always assumed it was to run a union to defend the interests of its its members.

I don't consider overturning a democratically elected government or damaging the entire national interest to the point that a 3 day week is required, to fall within that remit.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message <rqo1af$1s9t$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybtinternet.com writes

As Miliband represents a constituency that contained several large mines, that would have made for some interesting MP - Constituent chats.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

He made no attempt to come to any agreement which might have given his members a better long term deal. He wasn't interested in them, only his own political marxist ideology, which unfortunately is typical of the hard left.

Reply to
bert

The one I recall was him making a speech about defending the rights of his class.

Before leaving in a chauffeur driven Daimler.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

There were also reports at the time of (house purchase) loans from union funds at near zero interest rates to many of the top union officials. This was at the time of mortgage rates being in double figures.

Reply to
alan_m

Surely only the servants use the kitchen?

Reply to
alan_m

Wrong. It is to carry out the instructions of the elected officials. Who in turn are instructed by the members.

Pray tell just when a union overturned a government?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I met him twice, once at a function (he was charming) and once in Worsborough (he wasn't charming at all, but was provoked!).

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

What makes you think I live in one of the minority of houses that are 'newer'? What makes you think I live in a mass-produced house identical to countless others?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Well yes, good point, although I do go in there from time to time to shout at them.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Don't you mean 5 to 10% of ACTIVE members? Part of the problem was the show of hands type ballot whereas anonymous ballots may have produced different results (not in the case of the miners)

IMO, in many of the heavy industries union activity hastened the demise of those industries by maintaining closed shops, restrictive practices and opposing the inevitable job losses that come with modernisation.

I'm not saying there wasn't also bad management or political policies that caused closures but decades of silly work practices didn't help.

Reply to
alan_m

Oddly I met him only once. On a kids prog, where he answered questions from them. Mostly provided by their parents. The recording went wrong, so we had a deal of hanging about. The kids then asked their own questions. And Scargill came alive.

My view is he was 'demonised' by most parts of the meja. Rather like Corbyn. Those who actually new him had a very different view of him to the press.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Something else the meja loved to say. When secret ballots were introduced, it made not a scrap of difference to the results in my experience. The notion that unions always called for industrial action against the wishes of their members simply press fantasy

- in the vast number of cases.

Which sounds fine - until it is your job going to be axed. You seem to have the meja view that a union should always operate in the best interests of the country. But don't apply the same thing to those who control companies. Like paying large dividends and silly money to executives *before* investing properly for the future.

You generally only get silly work practices where there is silly management.

The press being a prime example. When things were good, they allowed pretty well anything to go on. Then when things changed, blamed it all on unions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Funny how that seemed to turn into block voting without any proper ballots eh?

Is your google broken?

Reply to
John Rumm

Who in turn are bullied, sometimes physically to vote the 'right' way.

Err, is your memory failing ?.

Ted Heaths government *was* brought down by the first miners strike in 1973. Mrs T's response to Scargill in 1984 was part motivated by revenge.

Reply to
Andrew