OT: The future of EV charging?

And the EPC made to reflect reality not what the tick boxes deem to be the effect of a given measure. An EPC would say this place is fully "double glazed". Well some of it has modern 22 mm sealed units with double sealed openers etc. The rest has seal units with a 4mm gap in ordnary timber casement frames any openers have "draft proofing", where the fittings allow, so are still as drafty as hell.

As the place is already "double glazed" there is no chance of any grants/vouchers/assistance in having replacement windows. Which if the difference the few that have been changed has made could well reduce the amount of oil we burn by something approaching 50%.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Even better Tory thinking. Close all the mines.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Absolutely no surprise given the way governments actively discourage R&D and manufacture in this country.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The government that closed more mines than any other was a Labour one. H Wilson.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yes, funny how the likes of Our Dave forget that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

that is the problem, not the solution. In many cases it is not workable to insulate historic houses to modern standards. The sane option would be to just require an improvement in thermal performance where practical. The owners get to decide what level of measures they take.

I doubt they care, so it wouldn't change anything.

NT

Reply to
Nick Cat

Only coal worth mining is open cast. Really deep seam mining was dead in WWII.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In the fine print nuclear is always there. I am sure in the end that is what we will have. Nothing else will do the job

We just have to wait until people realise it

Far too long because government has been weak and subject to rule by Brussels.

We need to complete Brexit, get the UKAE up to speed to redraft the safety regime, to reduce the costs and encourage investment, and get rid of Princess NutNuts and Boris once he's done brexit

Well yes. Someone once pronounced that renewable energy was green energy built with fossil fuel

Its just stupid virtue signalling propaganda, that is wasting resources, not saving them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do we have to keep reminding you Wilson closed more mines than Thatcher?

Reply to
The Other John

I'd guess you'd keep open every mine whether it has coal left or not then Bill?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You could ask the experts who closed more mines that were still viable. Not that I'd expect you to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Viable compared to what? UK coal was more expensive than imported coal from open cast. UK coal was more expensive than the vast supplies we had of North Sea gas we had at the time.

Natural gas was seen a the green energy of its time. No more smog from domestic fires, no more coal gas, no more steam trains etc. so the market was also falling.

Reply to
alan_m

switched

How much of that 200 years of Yorkshire coal is accessable using open cast mining? ISTR that the Yorkshire pits were deep seam ones.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ISTr that many of the east coast Scottish mines went under the sea. Not very good for open cast ;-)

Reply to
charles

Define 'viable' - cheaper than imported coal?

Reply to
The Other John

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Dave Liquorice snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com writes

There was some discussion about *gassification* way back.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Quite. And that attitude is why we have virtually no manufacturing industry left. If you can buy something elsewhere cheaper at that point in time, let the UK industry die. With zero thought to the future.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

How would you define viable?

If the cost of extraction exceeds the value of the product extracted, is that still viable?

Reply to
John Rumm

Or you could just keep propping it up at the tax payers expense for a few decades until you decide to close it anyway because there is no market for coal from any source...

Reply to
John Rumm

How about the UK industry getting its act together and becoming more viable?

Reply to
Tim Streater