OT: The end of the world

If the world actually ends there won't be much point in making preparations. But what if it doesn't quite end? What if something fairly cataclysmic happens that leaves us alive but living in rather straitened circumstances? Is it feasible to make preparations for this event, which is of course unknown in nature and magnitude?
As good DIYers we are presumably more inclined to self-sufficiency than average. Should that include cataclysm preparedness?
One thing that's essential for many people is continued access to certain medications. To that end I keep three months' supply of essential drugs.
I have a first aid kit, a generator, portable gas heaters, several bottles of gas and several bottles of gin. The freezers are kept well stocked.
I don't have a short wave radio, radiation pills, a gun, or a large supply of fresh water.
What about you?
Bill

You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist fellas ?

Of course it is, just like with preparing for any natural or unnatural disaster like a full nuclear holocaust.

IMO it isnt worth bothering to do that, essentially because its such an extremely remote possibility and you get most of what you would need to do by preparing for the much more likely natural disasters that do happen periodically.

Not possible here, they wont let you buy that much in advance.
And I can't see its at all likely that we will ever see a situation where any of us in a modern first or second world country would ever need 3 months supply of something like that anyway.

I don’t bother. I don’t even bother to keep a supply of bandaids, because I don’t use them. If I cut myself or crape off a piece of skin the size of a postage stamp etc, I find they heal better with no cover. If I ever did manage something more serious, I can just buy what I need for it.

I do have a generator, but only because one turned up cheap at a garage sale and it might come in handy sometime.

I don’t bother. If we ever do have a multiday loss of mains power, I'd just stay in bed under the duvets if it happened in winter.

I only have the one that I use for camping and the gas torch for yorkshire fittings etc.

I distil my own so always have plenty. Normally have at least a year's supply of beer too.

Me too, but that’s because its more convenient to be able to grab what I want from the freezer for the evening meal than to go shopping for it. I don’t bother with fast food.

That would be useless anyway. I do actually have a very decent HF amateur radio, but havent used it for decades.

There are so nukes around here that I don’t bother.
We do have some US massive great comms systems which would be certain to be nuked in a full nuclear holocaust, but IMO the risk of that is so low I don’t bother to have what might be handy if that happened.

I do.

I don’t, but some of my neighbours do.

I wouldn’t dream of telling you, if the shit does hit the fan, you'll be round to help yourself to my stash.
On 24/11/2017 03:33, Rod Speed wrote:

I've done it by cunning and deception.
Bill

Not possible here either. Tho I spose if you say claimed that you were attempting to break the world record for single handedly sailing around the world without stopping or something they probably would be happy to let you have that much as long as it isnt something the druggys buy for big bux.
On 25/11/2017 03:10, Rod Speed wrote:

Clearly you lack imagination and low cunning. The latter is unusual in your part of the world.
Bill
wrote

Or we have a much more bulletproof system here.
On 25/11/2017 21:36, Rod Speed wrote:

So you shoot your way into the drug store?
Bill
replying to Bill Wright, Iggy wrote: Can't do much else about prescription drugs, just keep in mind you'll need to use your stock to wean yourself off of them entirely.

Blankets, winter-ware and insulated overalls are much more useful and longer lasting than gas heaters, you'll need the heaters for cooking and boiling questionable water...meaning, the heaters should be stoves and not heaters.

Stocked freezers is fine for the first week only. Without electricity you'll have horrible food and probably poison yourself in the 2nd week. Fill the pantry or unplug the freezers and fill them with ready to eat cans of tuna, beef stew, pastas, canned ham and spotted dick. Do not waste space with foolish and completely unnecessary cans of fruits and vegetables.

Otherwise, plan on taking over some other residence that'll then be vacant to increase your access to live food, planting food crops, security, privacy, ability to setup rain catchments and collect vehicles and fuel. It works or it doesn't and you can choose to starve to death or figure out your most preferred method of death.
On 24/11/2017 04:14, Iggy wrote:

Some drugs keep you alive and you can't ever come off them.

Well yes. I didn't bother to mention them.

Generator.

Yes, tinned food is a very good idea.
Bill
replying to Bill Wright, Iggy wrote: If you or someone else needs drugs to stay alive, you're SOL until you make them yourself from natural and locally plentiful ingredients. Otherwise, you or they have their method of death figured out, whether preferred or not.

Very good on the cold-ware, but test it all out to see if it's sufficient. Even the Mylar emergency blankets/sheets would be a very good buy, especially outdoors as a windbreaker and rain shield.

Forget about a Generator for what you're talking about, wholly worthless along with any radio nonsense. But, tinned food is the only thing that comes with water, doesn't need cooking and is good for years beyond the Best By date. Nutrition is a Gov't lie and in Dystopia you'll only need fuel.
On 24/11/2017 17:14, Iggy wrote:

It would probably be possible to rob a chemists or a drug wholesaler.

Why?

Why?
Bill
replying to Bill Wright, Iggy wrote: Sure, if you know where they are, but what you need may go stale (could be dramatically weakened or even poisonous) and/or be water damaged and therefore possibly or likely have no label on it. And, can you even get to wherever? And, can you get in or into where you need to? Under normal everyday life the prescription may only be good for a few or 6-months, finding more won't help.

Well, does the Generator run on petrol? Then, not only where do you get that, but how do you get it? You'll have to pump it out or suck it out. Do you have a garden hose? It's only good for a few transfers before the petrol melts it. Then what? And, what was the catastrophe, were there Earthquakes that cracked the Petrol Station tanks? Was everything bombed-out, is the petrol in bio-weapon territory, torched by idiot vandals or did others find the petrol first and are now guarding it? Can you fix yours or get a replacement Generator?

Radio sounds nice. But, is anyone around even on a transmitting one? What says you can trust them or them trust you? And, can they even do anything for or with you? Are they at the other end of the country or farther? What if Cannibal Gangs are the only people around and the Radio leads them to you or they take out your fellow Radio user who was coming to help you? Your Radio's just killed the only known people either of you would want around in the new world.

I'm not saying I'm right and this is the only way you'll make it. You and I will have to improvise. But, I think you should start out as self-sufficient and even as mobile as you can, to wait out and outsmart the competition. Frankly, people, preppers, survivalists don't ask enough questions and have missed or ironically never had interest in the dystopian movies, which have laid out most every scenario.
On 25/11/2017 22:44, Iggy wrote:

Most drugs are fairly inert. I have some here with Use Before dates of 2010.
and/or be water damaged and

Tip: don't use them. Find others.
> And, can you even get to wherever?
Drive.

There'd be lots of people with the same idea so speed would be of the essence. You can get into anywhere if you use a tractor or JCB.
Under normal everyday

I'm talking about drugs that the patient will be on for the rest of their life. Digoxin, that sort of thing.
finding more won't

It will keep the patient alive.

Or gas.
Then, not only where do you get

There's lots of gadgets sold for pumping petrol and other chemicals. Google 12V petrol pump

It would only damage the ones on the fault line.

Always look on the bright side...
Bill
replying to Bill Wright, Iggy wrote: Now you're just getting silly. Insulin is good for almost no extended period without constant refrigeration. And now, you know how to hot-wire anything and they're in perfect working order and laying around right where you need them to be? Well, at least I made you question some things. And, now I understand. Your "end of the world" just means a few less people, all roads and bridges stay completely intact, stores are fully stocked and not raided and only the drive-thru's are unstaffed.
On 24/11/17 02:31, Bill Wright wrote:

You mean Corbyn gets elected?

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

As a scrounger living off the state I look forward to an extreme left wing government. They'll pump money into the NHS which is really good at our age. By the time the shit hits the fan we'll be dead.
Bill
On Friday, 24 November 2017 14:54:40 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

Only if the money does any good, which with an extreme left wing government it probably won't.
Owain

It is what setup the NHS in the first place.
On 24/11/2017 18:05, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Extreme ! don't think you know what extreme left wing means

So you've not got long to live then?
--
bert