OT: The BBC bubble

Alan Yentob was on The Media Show this afternoon, talking about the Clarkson affair. He said one thing which I think told us a great deal more than he intended about the BBC: "Jeremy says things that no-one else says. . ." No, Alan, Jeremy says things that most of us say, now and then. What you mean is, he says things that no-one else in the BBC bubble says. There couldn't be better proof that BBC people live in their own leftist metropolitan universe, with values and basic assumptions far removed from those of 'ordinary people'.
Bill

Is that a made up name ? .......Botney
On 25/03/2015 20:37, Phi wrote:

Eh ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Yentob
--
Mark

That'll be a *whoosh* then :-)
--
Graeme

On 25/03/2015 22:04, News wrote:

Possibly, though I had spotted the anagram
--
Mark
Mark Carver wrote:

It's a palindrome. Named after Michael Palin.
Bill
On Thursday, 26 March 2015 14:13:06 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

That would have been a good name for Sheffield City Airport.
The Palindrome.
Owain
On 26/03/2015 14:12, Bill Wright wrote:

Ah yes, Notlob !! I hadn't spotted that, I think I'd better get my coat.................
--
Mark
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 16:41:57 +0000, Mark Carver

No, that's an aerodrome _named_ after Michael Palin. :-)

Or, nodnoL.
The wiki article indicates that Yentob is his real name. The Botney reference was just a simple reversed anagramatic 'joke' name, inspired, it seems to me, by the equally unamusing name of "Britney". Perhaps that was the 'amusing part' of the Joke? :-)
--
J B Good

On 26/03/2015 17:12, Johny B Good wrote:

Now you've just had a whoosh moment :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkLK3Gnv8Co

The morning after that sketch was shown, everyone at school started calling me Rev. Rackram.
--
Mark
Mark Carver wrote:

I really don't know how you remember these Python quotes. You can't have been more than a nipper at the time. There again I know you were poking your nose in the back of the telly when you were 18 months, so I guess it makes sense.
Bill
On 26/03/2015 20:43, Bill Wright wrote:

78/79 ish BBC 2 repeated the entire series, that coincided with my teenage years.
--
Mark
Mark Carver wrote:

Oh I see. And thus another generation had their minds changed forever!
Bill

or even a hsoohw.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

On 25/03/2015 19:39, Bill Wright wrote:

So a statement by one BBC person, albeit a senior one, is proof of how the entire corporation thinks? Sorry Bill but that sounds complete rubbish to me. I think the technical term for it is bollocks!
--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Bill Wright wrote:

    Looks like the Top Gear team is off to the US. Goodbye to £300M of BBC sales.

Am I the only person here who thinks that no reputable employer ought to keep on an employee who assaulted his boss (or indeed any other member of staff)? The fact that the BBC sacked Clarkson in spite of his fame and profitability for them is to their credit IMO.
--
I'm not paid to implement the recognition of irony.
(Taken, with the author's permission, from a LiveJournal post)
On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 22:05:45 +0000, John Hall wrote:

No, you're not.

+1
--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 25/03/2015 22:17, Adrian wrote:

+1.
It would have been nice to have a bit more context, for example was JC representing the views of the whole crew, had the producer been particularly incompetent? That might have justified a fair amount of ranting. But there can be no excuse for thumping the guy.