OT: Tes**'s, relentless onslaught ..?

Wokingham. We don't make cheese, but I like many of the English regional ones, so am game for your suggestions

Reply to
Andy Hall

What about those who always wear a tie (a friend of mine was when we visited Rhodes' grave near Bulawayo - 90F). Are they expected to dress differently by de-tying?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Far from it changing, I think it will get worse. Manufactured goods are now dirt cheap compared with in our childhood, whilst people are time poor and labour is far more expensive.

When my mother's JVC VCR (not the cheapest by a long way) broke down the other week she was inclined to just junk it and buy another - in the event the repair cost £40 but add on the hassle of taking it to the shop and then going to collect it you can understand why many money-rich time-poor people would just have binned it.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

They tend to be bigger and carry more stock and a greater range of stock.

It is clear you are beyond that.

No.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It depends on how the will is constructed and assets organised.

Nope. Still deciding.

Yes, but not without consequences. I see no reason why they would be anyway.

I might :-)

He gains comfort from it. A neglected child apparently. Doesn't bother anybody else so live and let live.

I do.

That's fine. It's context and the person. I don't enjoy going to things where I have to dress in black tie etc. and would never dream of hosting a black tie event. I would much rather go to something where any form of clothing is acceptable and people are comfortable.

Therefore why would I want to host a black tie funeral? If they don't like that notion, then I don't want them to come.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If they're going to be like that at your funeral they won't be celebrating:-)

Your arguments are confused.

Hmm. but you DO go to funerals ...

I'm not there! It's happening as I type. And I shan't go to the bun fight either.

I don't understand what you mean.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ooh - dangerous!

In that case I SHALL come and wear deepest black and a veil and sob and cling to the coffin - and spit on it!

That doesn't answer the question.

Look - you don't HAVE to go to such places.

That's your choice.

You won't be the host. You'll be the stiff.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Quite.Spouse wears a tie almost every day. It can't be seen, he has a LARGE beard and usually wears a sweat-shirt too. He says it's more comfortablethan an open necked shirt. I usually wear a shirt with a collar and almost always wear it buttoned up, it's more comfortable like that.

I think that tee shirts and 'rugby' shirts are scruffy but if people want to be scruffy that's up to them.I'd rather they didn't come to my funeral like that but I can't stop them. I do know that those who are likely to come will either wear formal clothing or period clothing - of the highest order - because they're that kind of people. They enjoy the opportunity to wear their best. And I know that they'll enjoy themselves. I'm laying down champagne already.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My point was, how can you influence what happens in North Yorkshire, from the deep s**th if, as is claimed, stores are regional?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well, people say that they are but they choose to be so they shouldn't complain.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Wow, is that for breakfast/lunch/dinner and drinks every day?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Tesco only has 24% market share, so it doesnt look lik that'll happen any day soon. And if it over does, competition will spring up. But in reality world, it wont ever happen, and never has. Unless you can name that one and only national grocery chain.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

.. and don't just sell on price. In the UK, they have gone mainly for the smaller scale and cheaper end of the market and their market share is and will remain limited.

It is as it is....

That's why I'm not.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The people who matter at a funeral are the immediate family. It won't make any difference to the deceased if you wear Tesco or Armani (or whether they wear ebony or Contiplas for that matter). If the immediate family would be put out by you turning up in your favourite lime green jump suit then to do so would be saying that you put your comfort above theirs. To dress in a manner that would not add to the family's stress level is IMO just good manners. What that manner is will vary from family to family.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

There is some economy of scale as well. It is not typical to have something just for one store. What is generally done is stock profiling - meaning how much shelf space is devoted to a given range or a set of choices.

So for example, if people in one region like lots of different kinds of pasta or cheese then that is reflected (or should be). If they like 16 different brands of mushy peas then so be it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Exactly, which is why it ain't going to be like that.

I don't think so. Seems consistent enough to me.

Yes, but I am not going to wear black. I might wear a suit or a jacket and tie, but that's about it.

Good for you.

Meaning that my thoughts on it are based on what I think now and how I'd like it to be.

Reply to
Andy Hall

There's enough in place now, but still details.

Oh no. Just a desire to eliminate the artificial crap, which is where we came in with the concept of an 18gauge steel casket from Costco.

In that case I will make sure that you are invited, precisely because you are making an individual statement about it and not going with the flow.

Then you get into the definition of normal. For him it's normal. He's happy. It doesn't bother me or affect anybody else, so he's welcome to his black A-line and stockings.

I know, and generally I don't.

In the same way that people specify that event should be black tie (for reasons that make no sense to me), I am going to specify an event that is specifically not black tie. If they choose not to like that, they don't need to come.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If that's what they normally wear in daily life, then fine. I'm simply objecting to the crap of the funeral industry and all the artificial and crass nonsense that goes with it and don't wan't to be any part of it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

To April 2005:

Tesco: Up to 29.8 per cent from 27.6 per cent ASDA: Down to 16.5 per cent from 16.7 per cent Sainsbury's: Up to 15.8 per cent from 15.4 per cent. Morrisons: Down to 11.8 per cent from 14.2 per cent

One in every ten pounds spent in British retail, that is everything retail, is spent at Tesco. In some stores you can buy a £500 TV set at 2.a.m.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I agree.