OT: Suspected bad neighbour when buying a property

Or the vendor arranged the viewings when they knew the neighbour always went out at that time. Maybe even bribed the neighbour to take Fido walkies when there were viewings.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Probably not, but if the reason given doesn't seem plausible it may be a sign something's wrong.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

When I first read the post I thought it was the original poster who was mad, but having read all the sympathetic replies I can only conclude that it must be me. Are people really that bothered about having a white van parked outside the next-door house? Is it the van itself or is it because they might be working class (gasp!)? When you look out of suburban front-room windows do you expect to see parked vehicles slowly oxidising in the drizzle, or would you prefer something like the hanging gardens of Babylon? Maybe a farmhouse on a hebridean island would be a better idea?

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

White van man often loads his tools up at 6.30 AM with no regard for neighbours or day of the week. Big vans are not quiet either. The doors slamming on a white van will wake you and drive you mad.

Reply to
mogga

Blue vans that arrive home from the night-shift at 4:20am to be greeted by a yapping dog aren't much fun either.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It depends on the vehicles. BMW or upper-end Rovers are quite acceptable; anything with personalised window-tint isn't.

Towballs okay for horse-boxes, not okay for caravans.

Have you seen the sort of vehicles they drive on Hebridean islands? Especially the sort that never make it to the mainland so don't need tax, MOT, or miscellaneous body panels.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And the less said about green vans the better.

Reply to
Jules

Tarmackers' tipper lorries with wheelbarrows, calor gas and misc metally things that stink and rattle.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Don't consider the estate agent's feelings; consider your huge investment and future happiness. ON t ye other hand, parking a van and car in thye street is not much of an indicator of problems.

For a little extra peace of mind, I suggest you download the deeds for house B from the land registry for =A36. That will tell you, for example whether it is rented or not (owner's address different, name not matching B's name) or indeed if it is a "social housing" house owned by the city council.

I also suggest you go for walks down the street at all hours of the day and night to see what it's like.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Imagine if the car has child seats.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I didn't think drivers with personalised window-tint bothered with child seats, but I take your point.

At least tricycles in the garden suggest about 3 years to go before they turn into juvenile delinquents.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"xaxaxax" wrote

Nope, sounds fishy to me. If you have any doubts, I'd walk away from it. I wouldn't like to live next door to a white van on the street, and it's only a matter of time until their parking a car in front of your potential house would become a problem.

Very unlikely they will admit to there is a problem with a neighbor.

Seriously, who cares? They're lower than a snake. It's all part of the game in their business.

I'd personally walk away from the purchase. There are plenty more houses to chose from.

Reply to
Davey

"Martin Pentreath" wrote

It's both the van, and the associations that come with someone who's happy to park a white van outside their house on the street. Obviously it's touched a nerve with you.

Reply to
Davey

The last time I made an offer (a very quickly considered one) on a house, I walked down the street that night about 8.00pm. I saw enough for me to promptly withdraw the offer.

In buying other houses I always had results of spying on the neighbours as a purchase criterion, but I usually got carried away by enthusiasm for the house. Luckily I never regretted it.

You have given us no real reason why you should suspect Mr. B as a bad neighbour, but you do well to scrutinise the neighbours as carefully as you do the house. You'll replace a rotten roof or poor electrics a heck of a lot easier than a bad neighbour.

Not as angry as you will be when you are kept awake by noise or your house cannot be left empty for fear of burglary

Best regards,

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan Campbell

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Davey" saying something like:

Oi, f*ck off.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon