OT: Stupid Aldi

I just shopped at Aldi and the checkout operator (who was actually the deputy manager) was pressing one key on the till 20 times when I'd bought 20 of one thing. When I looked at her with a confused expression, she explained that they'd been told by head office to do that, as apparently the computer only registers it once for stock control if you type in a quantity of 20, even though it manages to bill the customer correctly. I told her it sounded like utter nonsense and she agreed, while handing me a very very long till receipt. She said she's going to have a discussion with them.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

A good thing you weren't buying packets of biscuits!

Our Aldi is full of cheap cr.p, and we don't have Lidl. So Morrison's and Tesco are still getting all the town trade.

Reply to
Davey

I wonder if they factored in the increased cost of till rolls? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Pah! Not letting you get away with that one! Aldi's stuff is variable across the board, but broadly speaking it's *far* from crap! And their reputation for wine quality is very high in Germany -- where not only do they know about these things, but they're all German! -- and you know what the Germans are like! (for fussiness about quality, I mean.)

J.

Reply to
Another John

My German wine is usually delivered by my brother, who lives there, so I don't care how good Aldi's is! It has a very small wine section, too, nothing like Morrison's or Tesco's, by a large factor. And I will stick with my assertion: The stuff in my local Aldi is generally terrible quality. Yours may differ.

Reply to
Davey

+1
Reply to
ARW

Aldi is just a supermarket, but their quality compares well with JS & Tesco.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+2
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

A good bet it was not condoms.

Reply to
ARW

Reply to
Tim Watts

Got me a set of car floor mats for ?4.99. Seriously thick rubber and the drivers side can be swapped with the passenger side. Dickheads now use Tesco etc.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Condoms are not manufactured that small and he would have to RTFM.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

.

The products are fine. The _range_ is crap. Lots of stuff they just don't stock - and it's deliberate.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Mr Pounder Esquire submitted this idea :

minus six...

It is great quality and great prices, really!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I agree with Davey, walking into a Lidi just show how crap Aldi are.

but just like you, I don't have access to either without an inconvenient drive

tim

Reply to
tim.....

You need a big cup to dunk those in your tea.

Reply to
David Lang

I have not drank tea for 40 years. Pikeys drink tea.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

But McVities are only a shilling the half-poond. It said so on the telly. Oh wait, that was 50 years ago.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yeah, mine doesn?t bother to stock any chutney at all, tho they do have it as a special buy very occasionally.

Reply to
kshy

Aldi's sauce and pickles are, or at least used to be, made by a firm called Bramwell's Sauces, in Doncaster. If you've got any old jars in the back of the cupboard they might have this on them.

But you're right, The big problem with Aldi is that they chop and change all the time. For months, maybe years for all I know, they used to do big bottles of light soy sauce. And then without notice, they decided to do small bottles of dark soy sauce instead. Not the same thing at all.

michael adams

michael adams