OT : Source for printer control codes needed

Sorry to post off-topic but I know many here work in IT.

I am desperate to get the control codes for a Samsung printer. Samsung don't seem to want to help and I really need to print from an old DOS app.

Does anyone know of a newsgroup, forum or similar that might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks as always. Rob

Reply to
Kalico

I think you should find some help and some driver software here:

(watch out for line wrap)

There is also a program called "DOS Print" that might help after you get the proper driver software.

Reply to
BigWallop

If it uses pcl5 this looks useful (its for a HP laserjet)

Colin Wilson

comp.periphs.printers

Reply to
Bob Eager

Is this a windows printer or a real one?

Most(all?) real printers will do something sensible if fed plain ASCII, like print the character...

Are you running this old DOS application under windoze or DOS?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I am running it under Windoze but can feed it codes directly.

Reply to
Kalico

So what doesn't it do that you would like it to do?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Print at all from the old DOS app.

Obviously, the printer needs some codes to be send before the actual data. Or it could be that the Windows driver would normally generate the whole bitmap image to pass to the printer, in which case I'm stuffed.

I think the easiest solution is going to be to get an old inkjet printer just for this app!

Thanks for your help. Rob

Reply to
Kalico

What's the DOS application? Most printers will handle the Windows "plain text" driver, and you can usually fall back on c:\>copy report.dat prn: under DOS...

Reply to
Jeremy Collins

Thanks for that. Is the DOS print program from Samsung?

If not, do you know a source for it?

Rob

Reply to
Kalico

Is it a dot matrix or laser printer? If the former, it may well use the Epson FX command set - see

a laser PCL is most likely - I see you've been given a source

Reply to
Tony Bryer

You can try here:

here:

BigWallop

When you install a printer in Windows, the setup dialogue usually asks whether you want to be able to print from DOS applications. If you answer "yes", it presumably loads some additional software.

Have you tried deleting and re-installing your printer, and answering Yes to this question?

Reply to
Set Square

Some printers, inkjets especially, won't. Period

Others will, if you open up a DOS window and start the DOS program from within the window rather than running it directly

Reply to
Tony Bryer

"Win" printers ceratinly. All printers I've ever owned respond sensibly to pure ASCII, well apart from the teleprinters that is...

Maybe it would help if the OP posted the model number of this Samsung jobbie...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Normally only if you want to switch it into a different mode other than printing plain ASCII.

Quite. What model Smasung printer is it? Or is there any mention of it being a "win printer" on their site.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Then you've never used a PostScript printer!

Reply to
Bob Eager

acombination of a program called DOSprinter (not DOSprint, which although good did not quite solve it) and a neat registry edit.

The DOSprinter program emulates Epson codes and the registry edit has allowed a type of capture of the port.

Anyway, I have a solution so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Rob

Reply to
Kalico

Thanks to all who've given advice.

The printer is an ML-1210 and will not,according to Samsung, print any DOS stuff at all. In fact, they were quite suprised when I told them how I have managed to solve it.

I've actually managed to get sorted with acombination of a program called DOSprinter (not DOSprint, which although good did not quite solve it) and a neat registry edit.

The DOSprinter program emulates Epson codes and the registry edit has allowed a type of capture of the port.

Anyway, I have a solution so thanks to you all for pointing me in the right direction.

Rob

Reply to
Kalico