OT : sort of as I did do it myself. :-)

From this...

this...
finished.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Not bad... but weird eyes, and the nose on the kid on the right (too well defined)

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Funny you say about the eyes they look ok on me computer pic but my URL pics look as if the eyes are different?

TA for that

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Did you invert the images of the eyes when you did them to make a copy?

The little boy at the front looks as though he has two right eyes...

Reply to
Andy Hall

lol he does actually have two right eyes as I cloned the right on to the left of the nose, I should have mirrored the eye first. It's very hard to do something like this when most of the detail has been lost.

Ho well back to the drawing board.

Thanks Mr H.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I did one of these a few weeks ago. It was a family wedding photo from about the same era.

Mine didn't have the rip, but did have dust spots that had been presumably on the negative when the print was produced. It was also a sepia print and there were subtleties of shading.

I found the work quite therapeutic and did it over several weeks in odd times such as sitting in airport lounges, on aircraft and so on.

Lots and lots of copies were made along the way.

I did clean up of the major defects first followed by the easy ones, then concentrated on faces after that, figuring that these are probably the places that people will mainly look.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall wrote: [snip]

I did it in PaintShopPro and find it best to zoom in on the damaged areas for pixel to pixel shading and then blend. a good trick is to convert the pic to negative in PSP then revert back to original pic with negative again, this technique helps with the most difficult parts.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Have a try of the free cross-platform 'unshake' software at

analyses correspondences between nearby points in a picture, and if it finds more similarity between points than it expects, it deduces what went wrong with the image and "deconvolves" it, that is, it works out what the original scene looked like.

Bit involved to setup - you need Java installed - but I've used it to great effect with some photographs, easily doubles / trebles the resolution. Does what it says on the tin!

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

Yes, I used that as well and did similar things.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'd have though PSP too clunky for this sort of stuff, Photoshop CS ?

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Try to beg, borrow or steal a copy of Adobe Photoshop CS. It has a 'healing tool'. You set its size, click on the blemish and it samples the surrounding pixels and writes them over the mark. Nine out of ten you get a perfect match.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

But the cloning tool has the same procedure?

I don't have a problem really with different shades of pixeling its the loss of detail ie when the rip/tear has gone right across the eyes no one can visualise what the eyes look like unless they have another pic of the persons eyes to go by. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You did a very good job on it. :))

Reply to
EricP

I wasn't criticising the work you did. It is impressive. This kind of repair

takes a lot of time and ingenuity as I remember before I had access to Photo

Shop. If you haven't used it you should take a look. Heal is only one of the

tools, but I have found this the quickest for this sort of repair. Like any

tool the results get better as you become fluent with it. It allows you to

store the parameters for tool settings that you found worked well.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott