OT:Sky+ box full-time for a HDrecorder?

Hi all, my Sky+ box is getting full, is it a relatively simple process to move recordings from Sky+ on to a stand alone DVD recorder? anything i need to look for in a DVD recorder?

cheers

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

uk.tech.tv.sky

Reply to
nog

Or more usefully, yes, it's a fairly simple process, your Sky manual will detail it. Essentially you can "copy" from the sky box to anything with a scart in.

In terms of DVD recorder, look for one that supports a range of formats (if you plan to lend out recordings etc) - so +/-RW is pobably what you need.

I went for Sony, it seemed to have the widest compatability.

cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

A Sky+ box that actually works? Suggest you register it as part of your retirement pension portfolio as being such a rarity it will be worth a fortune in the future.

Reply to
roybennet

I don't see the problem - mine, and all my friends and colleagues that have Sky+ would confirm a good, reliable, and user friendly system (even if the subscription is a bit of a rip-off).

To the OP... I believe even when copying-out recording, macrovision encryption is still maintained - if so you need a "video enhancer" type device to strip the macrovision encoding, otherwise the results of recording the video of protected content will be next-to-unwatchable.

Have a play, when you find the limitations, post back.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Not useful to offer information on a group dedicated to the OP's topic?

Reply to
nog

Hi Steve

Windows XP Media is the next big thing

, well actually Miccrosoft Vista Premium supercedes it.

Basically it's PC with TV Tuner cards in it. You can shove a 500Gb drive in it and never really have to worry about space. You can record DVD's on to it to watch at your leisure later. You can dump a program to DVD. It's the next big thing.

Alternatively you can go on E-bay and buy a secondhand Tivo with life time subscription. (

) It'll record from Sky or Freeview. It may have a 160Gb or 250Gb or even 2 x 250Gb drives in it. Beauty of Tivo is it like sky+ only better. It downloads the TV listings each night and will get a feel for what TV you like then it will record shows that it thinks you might like when it's not recording anything you want.

Regs Kev

Reply to
purlpekenny1964