OT: ScottishPower

I heard on Today this am that ScottishPower is selling its gas-fired units and will in future concentrate on onshore/offshore wind and solar (FFS). So I'll be moving to another supplier once my present contract expires.
Any suggestions?
--
"It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
On 16/10/2018 16:26, Tim Streater wrote:

Dunno, I'm not racially biased as far as electrons go. I always aim for the cheapest.
Considering the name maybe they should consider burning bagpipes and Haggis? Brian
--
----- --

On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 20:41:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

You've never tried my mother's cooking, have you?
Owain

That’s not burning it for power generation, just trying to kill you off and not get jailed for that.
Because of the incoming catastrophe of Climate warming and flooding all governments should create a Carbon Tax which gas and coal burners should pay, but not renewables and nuclear.
The principle is that the polluter should pay, not dump their waste for the council to clear up at everybody else's expense.
So it could be a canny economic move by Scottish Power.
Also those of us who care are prepared to pay a little more for 'Green Elecricity' rather than polluting Coal power electricity.
So again it is a canny financial move by Scottish Power.
If the grid goes low on renewables they can get more power from Drax using the same gas power stations!
George @GreenLibDems
George Miles wrote:

Like the UK and EU ones we've already got?
<https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-utilities-carbon/four-uk-power-firms-call-for-carbon-price-floor-extension-idUKKBN1CR0YQ

But renewables such as solar and wind are useless without gas back up so they should pay also.

--
bert

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 16:26:19 +0100, Tim Streater

Yes, I see they are selling their gas and hydro stations to Drax. They could buy electricity from Drax if there is not enough wind. Drax won't need it as they have no retail customers.

Well of course it makes no odds since once the volts are put onto the grid the source of them is lost. But we need to keep the pressure up on these fools. This was the CEO of SP on the wireless, too, not just some low-level spin doctor.
--
The truth of the matter is that we Scots have always been more divided amongst
ourselves than pitted against the English. Scottish history before the Union of

So the electricity does not contain a DNA marker then. How do they get the green electricity to the correct customers :-)
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 18:43:29 +0100, Scott

Each and every electron is coloured green, and filters on the grid make sure that only green electrons get through. Conversely, other filters reject electrons from nuclear power stations, as these are radioactive.
(It wouldn't surprise me if some people actually believe that rubbish).
--

Chris

If the electrons are green, how do they know to travel in the brown wire? Could they not send the green electrons along the green and yellow wire and the dirty electrons along the brown wire? They could all return via the blue wire as this is dumped into the sea.

Regardless of their colour, it's only the naughty electrons that flow in the green wire. When they do, it's a sure sign that you've got serious trouble.
--
Ian

On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 19:03:36 UTC+1, Scott wrote:

What makes them dirty is it their colour !
Why not just refer to them as tanned ?

So that's why water is blue :-)
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 05:38:47 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave

Exam next week :-)

Simples! Black wire for the black currents Red wire of the red currents and well greened wire connected to the green gauge of what the UK publicke will believe!....
--
Tony Sayer

I'm sure T r o l l thinks they can, but anyone with two brain cells to rub together (erm, that's one from each hemisphere) would tell you it's all bollocks.
Scott formulated on Tuesday :

Each electronic is fitted with a tiny GPS, as it sets off from the wind generator. lol