OT: Scottish Independence

The Natural Philosopher pretended :

Well, it will soon be safe. The EU is finished without us, we will just be starting the flood for the richer countries to get out, of that I am convinced. The rest are just watching and waiting to see how we fair in the process.

I'm not. There arent that many richer countries and I can't see Germany or France leaving.
Both have too much to gain by remaining.
Holland might, but its too small to matter much.

But don't have much more to lose than Britain does with the richer countrys.
The sagging euro is the reason german industry has done so well world wide.
The CAP has always been what france gets out of the EU apart from no more world wars.

it will be at least 10 years, and possibly 20, before there is any proof of that
tim
On 19/03/17 09:46, tim... wrote:

If the UK leaves and doesn't immediately collapse it proves that.
So I'd give the EU a couple of years at most.
--
There’s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Me too!
The writing is already on the wall.

Is that the one between Scotland and England, or between Eire and Ulster?
--
*Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

If only that had been made clear before the referendum. It's been stated that the older generation voted out - presumably expecting a relatively quick fix. Whereas the young - who would benefit in 20 years time if things do work out - voted stay.
--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

And how do you know this? In my place of work it was the mid to older generation who voted to stay. In a busy rural pub prior to the referendum where the general conversation got around to the referendum a straw poll suggested a 50:50 split irrespective of age.
This kind of age generalisation is as bogus as saying that ALL leavers voted that way because they believed that we would have an extra £250m a week for the NHS.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

From the various meja. Including statistics. I didn't interview the entire population myself.

Only a rather small percentage needed to believe this lie to sway the vote from stay to leave. But add in those from the UK 'rust belt' who just wanted change at any cost and you have an answer. The 64,000 dollar question being if that change at any cost actually is of any benefit to them in the foreseeable future.
--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

Nothing I have seen or heard in the Brexit campaign has persuaded me that Brexit will be anything other than an unmitigated disaster for both the UK and he EU. We are too deeply embedded for there to be an easy separation and too reliant on the Brussels bureaucracy to have the skills needed to extricate ourselves from the vengeful remainder without serious damage. That is why I voted for remain. I have no fondness for Brussels and considerable suspicion of the way the rest of the EU pays lip service to the rules of the EU while disregarding them whenever the rules do not suit them. In contrast to the UK which can be guaranteed to gold plate the regulations and enforce them with much more vigour than our continental cousins think appropriate for themselves.
--
Roger Chapman

Roger Chapman wrote:

    I am completely satisfied that Brexit is the correct decision and will be a success. I was told by many that when I went solo some 40 years ago, that I was making a huge mistake to step out of the international corporate world. They were wrong, it was the best decision I ever made. I now have a lifestyle that I could never have conceived when I took that decision. The EU is a corporate state and will undoubtedly fall apart at some stage, very few corporations last more than 100 years.

Neither do empires, as history shows. What survives are countries.
--
There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless.

- Jeff Polk

What also survives is groups of states.

Interesting concept. Capitol's one man band surviving more than 100 years.
--
*Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

    I guess I'm just immortal, and modest!!

Plenty of collections of states do tho.
Dave Plowman wrote:

And if the result had been "remain" and things didn't work out? They might wish they'd voted "leave" to get things sorted sooner ... it's all ifs, buts and maybes on either side.

You think what's in the media is any more accurate than opinion polls have been for the last decade or two?

That would be the "meja" you have previously denigrated and in fact denied ever reading?

--
bert

Nope. If after say 3 years it isnt that different on anything apart from the mass movement of immigrants from the EU stopping, most will decided that it worked out they way they wanted.

They can actually.

Yes, and it clearly does some countrys quite a bit of good, particularly France, Germany and those countrys that are net benefitiarys.
Even Greece chose not to leave, for a reason.

Like hell it does. Very few of the rest would do better if they left.
And imposing tariffs on the trade between Britain and the EU wouldn’t stop Britain doing better outside the EU anyway.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

They get lots of other benefits by being in the EU.
Those that are net receivers of what the EU hands out wouldn’t get that anymore.
Germany wouldn’t get the effective devaluation that has helped their exports so dramatically outside the EU and wouldn’t be able to interfere in how the other countrys in the EU do things either.
France would lose the CAP which they benefit from dramatically.

Corse they can, just like they did with all of these that arent in the EU. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_free_trade_agreements

Those that receive more from the EU than they pay the EU for starters.
And those like France and Germany that benefit in other ways.

There is no way that the EU can do anything to destroy Britain.

I bet you are wrong.