OT scare stories

After the ITV news full of scare stories with the black news reader frowning furiously I switched to Sky news, where there were the same scare stories but a different black news reader frowning furiously. The prognostications of doom concerned Brexit and Global Warming. I've always found the lady in the greengrocers to be a more accurate source of news than the media on any topic, so I asked her. She said that the last time we had a good summer and the carrot crop failed we imported them from China. They were not much more expensive and were better washed and of uniform size.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Bill Wright formulated the question :

Ah,but - the British carrots help you see in the dark and the Chinese ones cause your eyes to go slitty.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Did the colour of the newsreaders change the substance of the stories? If not, what is the point of mentioning their colour?

Reply to
Mark Allread

Because I'm sick and tired of the broadcasters virtue signalling by having a disproportionate number of black people on the telly. Why don't they have a lot of Chinese? There's plenty of them about as well as blacks. Adverts: every marriage is a mixed marriage. Vox pops: One black for every white. Studio interviews: lots of ethnics; far more than chance would allow. BBC newsreaders: 6 out of 24 (25%) are ethnics. Obviously they are not chosen for their abilities but on the basis of their skin colour.

Maybe they have that proportion of ethnics in London but we don't round here.

Racist? No, just pissed off with being sold a false image of Britain.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That's not something I've noticed but perhaps I have a wider circle of friends and acquaintances than you from many different backgrounds. I see the person and not the colour.

So get out a bit more and stop being so parochial. You may find that you actually enjoy meeting diverse people and cultures. Of course, with your views it is highly likely that they would not wish to meet you as you do seem to have a very closed and biased view of anyone different to yourself.

False image? Really? What rubbish. Leave your inner sanctum of like minded people and get out in the world instead of seething away to your similarly narrow viewed coterie.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Apparently, all our ancestors were black many years ago, there is a good chance when we moved into Europe we may have overun the shorter neanderthals, who subsequently became extinct.

Reply to
Phi

The proportion is probably ok for London, and the BBC seems to live in that microcosm with its blinkers on, so assumes the rest of the UK looks like London.

John Rumm

That seems unlikely.

So do I except when it seems that the broadcaster is selecting presenters and interviewees on the grounds of their skin colour. I find that despicable. It's so patronising; an insult to non-whites.

Every panel show, sport programme, whatever, has to have at least one black or brown face. It's just an insult to people to select them because of their skin colour, and an insult to us for them to think we're fooled.

What, go to London? Not on your Nelly.

I do enjoy meeting diverse people and cultures. I have friends with names like Patel, Sunita, and Shah. In hospital I love to chat with the foreign-born staff about their background, their hopes and aspirations. I have personally helped a local Chinese girl steer her way into a career. Today I got a Polish hairdresser to open up about her ambition to open a photography business in the UK. I'm strongly in favour of controlled immigration; meaning that we let into the country people who will be useful to us, because those with the nous to emigrate are self-selecting as aspirational and energetic.

You have obviously imagined a lot about me from very little evidence. That's known as prejudice. It's a bad thing. You need to watch yourself.

So every couple that buys furniture is mixed race? So a quarter of us are brown or black?

Fancy words but sadly very wide of the mark.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Interesting idea, probably wrong, definitely irrelevant.

But the neanderthals haven't died out altogether. I saw a family of them in Asda the other day.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Coming from Africa (the story so far) does not necessarily mean they were dark skinned.

The future and past are becoming very similar...

Reply to
Richard

Quite right Bill. When I see a female/black/disabled/sexual deviant in any job, I know they got that job NOT through ability and their performance is therefore suspect.

Reply to
harry

How do you know our ancestors were black?

Reply to
harry

I have traveled extensively in the third world. OK for a few weeks but who'd want to live there? Not even the inhabitants. Trump was right, they are shitholes. The problem is these people when they come here want to bring their shitty religion/culture with them and inflict it on us.

Reply to
harry

I'd suggest a short course in statistics in general, sampling in particular, and reading a bit. Rather than forming an opinion off the back of your rather 'focused' TV viewing.

Not sure of the figures, but the BBC is far more devolved than it used to be. And to suggest that ethnic minorities are over-represented (except on the lowest pay grades) in the BBC is ludicrous. We can either take Bill's 'research', or look at the data. The are plenty of FOI data available on BBC employment.

Not sure about his observations on adverts etc, but it sounds like rubbish. happy to be corrected.

You bought the image. Nobody asked you to. And you shaped the false narrative.

Reply to
RJH

They are trying to brainwash us into believing this false image.

Reply to
harry

Yes, its summer and we need some kind of story, so lets big up one on the current trendy things, these being the weather, a traditional English obsession and Brexit, which is also becoming aan obsession. The other day there was talk of tuning lots of the M20 in Kent into a lorry park with rotting veg in them due to the custom delays. However some years ago before the EU waived customs checks, we managed without any issues, with a customs checking system. They just need to employ the people again and it should work fine. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Having semi retired and listen to radio 4 during the day slightly more often than in the past the phrase I hear a lot from presenters or interviewers is "as a person of colour ...." especially when it makes zero a difference to what is being said or any message the interviewee may be trying to get across. It's as if the presenters are signalling that "hey I'm interviewing a black person" and trying to prove they have balance content from different backgrounds.

Perhaps I've now been tuned into another phrase and notice it every time its used but why do BBC Radio 4 presenters have to use "as a single parent ....." when the audience don't need to know as it make little sense in the context that it's used.

Reply to
alan_m

The problem is some large companies collect this information and get very "twitchy" if the ratios don't come out right.

Where I used to work they management sent out a questionnaire[1] to all employees asking about ethenic background, religion and disabilities. I believe that they didn't get many sensible replies as most people objected to the questionnaire in the first place.

[1} I think it was some knee jerk response to some Government legislation placed on large employers.
Reply to
alan_m

But almost certainly were. Unless the climate was so different there wasn't any sun then.

Are you saying we will be overrun by brexit Neanderthals?

Reply to
dennis

I first came across "blacks" at the age of 6 (1946). They were doctors studying at the Edinburgh School of Tropical Medicine. [my father has spent much of WW2 in West Africa and felt obligated to act as 'host' to vistors from the colonies] Some years later, my "best friend" at secondary school was from Pakistan. In Bradford, in the 1980s, in a BBC marked vehicle, it was the white school children who said "BBC - throw a brick at it"; the asian ones came over for a chat "how do we get to do such an intersting job."

Reply to
charles