OT Salting the road

"Peter Taylor" wrote in

My partner has just sent me the message "So which pub are you meeting in?" :-)

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

snow in the city center.

for work at 5am, and walk,

Brilliant place to live, I should

Remmebr this government is very good on micro management and what we shold think, not on actually allowing anyne to do anything on their own initiave, lket alone *shudder* actually encouraging it.

In fact, no government since the war (WWII) cabinet has done that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can, however, sypmathise when it

Tell me about it. On thursday I was able to make good speed on snow covered roads. Yesrday I got held up by someone who had dared venture out onto slush, and was doing 10 mph were I had gaily been able to do 30 the day before. No chance of overtaking since she sat in the middle of the road the whole way..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thameslink Trains (Bedford to Brighton right through Lunnon) obviously heard the 5-day forecast last Weekend and put up posters telling people that there could be 'trouble' and helpfully reminded us that the well- known problem of the 'wrong sort of snow getting into the traction motors' was being addressed. They have been addressing that problem since Feb 1991 when it first became obvious.

Reply to
Andrew

Jerry Built wrote

What do you call it then? It's packed snow turned to sheet ice. The whole road was a skating rink. This is the story in the local paper yesterday - the picture, taken 1½ hours after my original post on Thursday morning, is about

500m from here, on the opposite slope. Many of the vehicles visible were abandoned the night before

I can, however, sypmathise when it

That is so true, but conditions here were truly treacherous and I can forgive a lot of the cautiousness. Without the congestion there would probably have been much more serious accidents and injuries. I do think this was a special case - two steep hills on a major road, a danger spot at the best of times, left totally without protection from ice and snow. Today we've got gales and heavy rain washing away all the filthy salt that was eventually put down too late. :o) Roll on Spring!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

"....see today's Bucks Free Press, priced 40p"

Reply to
Parish
[30 lines snipped]

But not for much longer.

The website was advising people not to travel on Thursday. So I took their advice.

Reply to
Huge