OT Robots.

Truely astonishing stuff. A bit creepy in fact. I can't actually decide if it's faked up or not.

Reply to
harryagain

Yes it's fake, but probebly not in the way you think. Look carefully at 0:59 - 1:00. I would like to think that Boston Dynamics left that in deliberately for credibility.

Reply to
Graham.

They're entirely genuine. Still somewhat crude, though. But gradual and continuous improvements are being made. They should have something truly special to show us in another 20 years from now.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

There's something very creepy about those.

Reply to
Huge

The big one looks like the US Army's legged squad support system; 400lb payload and 20 mile range over any sort of terrain. Presumably the smaller version is a development of that, perhaps for operations that need something a bit quieter.

Reply to
Nightjar

Power is always the big problem for autonomous robots. I wonder how miles the big one gets to the gallon? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Fake in what way?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I hoped that they would turn and bite the blokes who kicked them!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Did you look at that one second clip above? What did you see?

Reply to
Graham.

Are you saying the branch it kicked up at the top of the hill was a fake?

Reply to
dennis

Yes they forgot that bite response bit;!.

Perhaps the RSPCR needs inventing;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Needs a Susan Calvin to set it up.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Nothing remarkable.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ah, you are right. I looked at it several times and I thought it was a cable that had not been "airbrushed" out of the picture. Also, the last time I saw anything like this (in Japan IIRC) it was still in development and did have a cable.

Reply to
Graham.

I suppose if you're not watched any of the regular documentaries that have been shown over the past 2 or 3 decades by the BBC, their 'sheeplike' appearance does seem a little 'creepy'.

Talking of 'electric sheep' reminded me of the movie "Blade Runner" btw.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

They did run it from a power cable, but its fitted with an IC engine and generator now IIRC.

Reply to
dennis

I am reminded of this for some reason:

Tim Watts

A few more examples of Big Dog

whisky-dave

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I knew someone would get the reference. :-)

The novel gets an acknowledgement in the end credits for being the inspiration of the movie.

Reply to
Johnny B Good