OT: roads

Went over the new Mersey bridge at Runcorn earlier this week. Should speed up the Chester-Liverpool run nicely.
By contrast, today nearly 10 hours to do Chorley-Canterbury. Would have been quicker in the 1950s. WTF is up with our roads?
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 21:33:28 +0100, Tim Streater

Lots more people (England population about 39 million, 2016 55 million). even more vehicles (1951 4.2 million vehicles licensed, 2014 35.6 million), even more distance (1951 37 billion vehicle miles travelled, 2014 311 billion)
IOW you (and me) are the problem.
On 27/10/2017 21:33, Tim Streater wrote:

Just back from Portugal - a country that is on its knees financially. I wish we had the roads here that they have there (and I have a sneaky feeling that I know who paid for them...).

Ah, yes, Portugal! One of the riff-raff.
--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
evidence."
On Friday, 27 October 2017 22:03:04 UTC+1, JoeJoe wrote:

Lots of good roads in the Highlands of Scotland too, and very little traffic.
And I know who paid for them ...
Owain

Not hard to find out, given that there are big blue signs everywhere saying that the EU paid for them. IOW, us.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 9th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183
On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 04:56:18 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

General Wade ?
G.Harman
On Saturday, 28 October 2017 13:28:40 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

I doubt he dipped into his sporran personally. And I was thinking more of Telford and the Highland Regional Council.
Owain
On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 05:38:01 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

While your point stands I think a Sporran would be an unlikely item of dress for someone who was sent up there to kick the shit out some of the Scots. This part of the National Anthem is rarely sung.
Lord, grant that Marshal Wade May, by thy mighty aid, Victory bring. May he sedition hush And, like a torrent, rush Rebellious Scots to crush. God save the King.
G.Harman

You jest? Pretty roads for a Sunday drive, maybe, but a PITA for getting where you want in a reasonable time.

Of course. North sea oil and gas. As with so much else in the UK.
--
*Gun Control: Use both hands.

On 10/28/2017 9:37 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yes. And in recent years lack of maintenance has been a big problem.

On 27/10/2017 22:02, JoeJoe wrote:

We just did north coast - Lisbon and back. The Portuguese roads were OK, but the Spanish ones were much better.
Andy

Too many people.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 8th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183
On 27/10/17 22:17, Huge wrote:

On the other hand why are the roads across the Greenland Ice-cap so rubbish? Is it too many people? Rather too few I think.
On 28/10/17 11:42, TimW wrote:

I havent seen many traffic jams across the ice cap.
But dont let facts get in the way of your political bigotry.
--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”

Did you have a point, other than the one on the top of your head? What was it?
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 9th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183
On 28/10/17 11:49, Huge wrote:

Even if I understood the point I thought I was making myself I certainly didn't make it clear for anyone else. I will try again.
'Too many people' is true, and may be a snappy answer but it isn't an enlightening analysis. That's just what a traffic jam is - too many people (in cars) in one place. I presume you were implying in a kind of shorthand some more subtle understanding, but I don't know what that understanding was. I only guess on the basis that I have seen your name here and vaguely have an idea that you might be toryish, but I could be wrong. there is a posh old bloke called Hugh down the road who is a raving Churchillian 1950s style empire/god/the queen and brexit type pub bore so I might be confused.
Anyway I was only quickly posting a pointer to the shortcomings of your 'toomanypeopledtraffic' theory. High population doesn't mean bad traffic, probably means a country with good roads. Dense population doesn't always mean bad traffic. More absurdly (witty I thought) low population and low density in Greenland fe doesn't mean good roads or fast and easy motor travel. I Might have better said '200 years ago the population of England was a tenth of what it is now and the roads were even worse' but I didn't think of it.
So there. It was just to say that you yourself have only made a half a point off the top of your head - do you have any better thoughts? Immigration? The last labour Government? Barbara Castle maybe to blame? People not using condoms? IDK. Tell us. I will be out with the dog and may not reply.
TW
On 28/10/17 13:10, TimW wrote:

All of the above.
The equation is simple. A lot of people living shit lives or a few leading better lives.
And no incentibve to breed.
--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

That's what we already have after seven years of Conservative Governments. Inequality more than anything else. Economic growth and low taxes so the debt remains constant and the imperative for austerity is still in place. Round here we have full employment and food banks, a struggling care home next to a busy Mercedes dealership, unaffordable housing and homelessness. Thanks tories.
Tim W
On 28/10/17 21:21, TimW wrote:

delusional to the last.
got to zimbabwe if you want proper social equality