OT Renting Out a Flat

Matt, you have blown it man. Blown it. Pull yourself together.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Quite so. If you look at a typical Shorthold Assured Tenancy agreement it says something like .... to pay or indemnify the Landlord against.... Gas Water Electric Council Tax Telephone

AIUI this means that however much the Tenants owe on those bills the landlord is never responsible for those debts. I had a couple who owed the London Borough of Barnet some 1500+ (they kept claiming they were students but failed to produce the correct paperwork - frankly because they weren't). The went abroad just before the bailiffs came so I presume this debt was never collected. Likewise they owed BT about 500. I have not even been approached for this and if I were I would take advice which I'm fairly sure would show I was indemnified against the debts.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Indeed so. However the two days are charged at a 50% discount for empty but furnished.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , at

19:48:46 on Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Ed Sirett remarked:

So even more complications. (And the discounts like that are not universal, LA's can decide whether or not to have them).

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

19:44:45 on Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Ed Sirett remarked:

No, it means the tenant is saying he'll pay if the landlord gets the bill. However, if the tenant has defaulted...

Reply to
Roland Perry

Or 100% discount (for 6 months) if unfurnished! - at least round my way.

David

Reply to
Lobster

:-)

A complaint possibly best left unvoiced in the presence of SWMBO

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , John writes

Yes they can

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Unfurnished and uninhabitable i.e. no cooking/kitchen/bathroom facilities round my way.

Reply to
Mark

Yes we have that one too, but it's a different 'class' of discount - that is specifically for builders etc renovating a property and you have to jump through a few hoops to get; whereas the 100% discount for unfurnished kicks in almost automatically, ie as a landlord you just ring them up and tell them your tenant's moved out. But as has been said, these things vary by council.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I'd say he needs to try and leave the bottle alone.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Isn't it general knowledge that you either let a flat and are a landlord, or you pay rent and are a tenant?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Mr Cranium, with your level of senility you should kept away from glass. I'm sure they give you plastic cups in the homes.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yes this is the one I normally (try to) claim and the property has to be inspected before Exemption is granted.

vacant between lets only qualifies for a 10% reduction here. As you say, different councils different rules. ;-(

-- /9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQEAYABgAAD/2wBDAAUDBAQEAwUEBAQFBQUGBwwIBwcHBw8LCwkMEQ8SEhEP ERETFhwXExQaFRERGCEYGh0dHx8fExciJCIeJBweHx7/

Reply to
Mark

True, but such tenancies are unlikely to be out and in over a weekend.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

That also. I got a 6 month exemption last year. Timed it nicely so that when the officier arrived the kitchen was gutted back to the bricks and the WC was missing.

He also told me of the people who tried to gain an exemption on their council tax whilst having the guttering replaced. They were not successful in their application.

Reply to
Ed Sirett