OT Remote controled amp/pre amp?

Hi All,

Someone posted in one of the Satcure forums that in the absense of the ability to control a the line out level via the Sky remote controls volume up and down buttons, he would be interested to hear if anyone makes the following.........

A (cheap!) box which takes line out from a stereo audio source via phonos, has line out via phonos and is controlable via the Sky remote.

Actualy he also wanted it to connect to the RF2 in addition to the TV and TV Link, but I don't think that's strictly necessary.

So, can anyone think of something that would do this, either with it's own remote, or preferably via the Sky one?

Please dont say yes it's called an AV amp and costs =A3600! cheap in this cae would be=20

Reply to
zikkimalambo

In my case its called a SONY amp and you can get em on eBAY for about £30.

Has a remote with it. also useful for adverts as you can select the CD channel when the ads come on and avoid hurling the remote through te TV every time that appalling female yells 'I got an AXA PENSHUN'

Infact lots of little "Hifis" have remote volume controls.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shouldv'e been more specific!

He already has a Hi Fi (in the next room where the Digibox lives) and a couple of nice speakers (well, he thinks so) either side of the Plasma screen in the "viewing room".

All he want's is a device to allow him to remote control the "volume" going from the line out on the digibox to the line in on the amp (i'm assuming non remote control amp).

It may be that something like your Sony amp would do the job (but be overkill) but it might be the best bet. Not many cheapy Hi Fis these days have Line out (well, not last I checked).

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Ah...Maybe a light pipe to get the IR to the next room? Or an IR repeater :-)

I can control my tuner 'around the corner' in an L shaped room by bouncing the remote off the wall..

AFAIK there is no device to exactly do what you want, made.

Nor can I instantly think of a way to do it.

Nothing appears to be made.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

WHich are readily available. Maplins sell them. Converts the IR to radio waves, sends them to the other end where they're converted back to IR. I use one to control my hifi from the kitchen, since I have extra speakers in there.

Look for "remote control extenders".

Reply to
Huge

Maplin do a remote VCA kit. With an infra-red zapper. If your remote can 'learn' that would work. I've also got a kit somewhere which uses a motorised Alps pot with a standard Philips remote.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ahh..thanks mate..I might have a use for that one as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the suggestions guys! For info, if his Hi Fi does have a remote, then adding a Global Comms TV Link Plus would enable him to control other equipment in the room where the Digibox and Hi Fi sit.

Mine doesn't have a remote (hardly surprising as it's a poor mans "Home Cinema" setup which uses a subwoofer and little speakers marketed for use with a PC).

I'll have a look for the Maplins item.

Cheers!

Reply to
zikkimalambo