OT: Registering a vulnerable person with .gov.uk

Just registered SWAMBO with .gov.uk as a vulnerable person. At the moment o ur needs are being met by family even if one of them has to come 30 miles s o I have ticked the appropriate boxes. However, should that change and we n eed help, how do you go about it? The site simply thanked me for registerin g but nothing else.
Richard
On 24/03/2020 20:27, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Never tick government boxes?
--
Adam

Nobody has even suggested this is a thing. I have three PAs coming in during the week, and they have no paperwork either. Surely they will check before stopping people getting my shopping or visiting my house. Brian
--
----- --
On 24/03/2020 20:27, Tricky Dicky wrote:

How and where do you do that? Does it need a doctors certificate? Is it for the right sort of vulnerability? The only things I see are intended for Alzheimers and the like rather than physical disability or being officially stuck at home because of immune suppression etc.
We are struggling to see how we can continue to support a housebound disabled relative who lives 50 miles away who we normally take shopping once a week. Trouble is they are very independent, stubborn and refuse to register as disabled themselves (or at least have done until now). They have a very limited number of steps per day (sometimes zero). Still don't have a blue badge although we have bullied them into applying for one last week since that would give us some slight leverage.
Previously it was just annoying having to find a double space miles from the shop so that they could get out of the car but now it has important practical problems if private travel gets locked down any harder.
The experience of shopping at the big Tescos in Newcastle last week was so horrible that we have no intention of repeating the experience so instead we will be shopping at home and taking it to them. It was physically dangerous for someone with limited mobility at risk of falls.
They used to be able to online shop for any weeks when we couldn't go but all the slots are booked up to the event horizon 3 weeks away.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

All those I know currently undergoing chemo, etc or otherwise at risk got their texts on Tuesday.
--
*That's it! I?m calling grandma!

Martin that link you wanted is;
www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable
Alternatively call 0800 0288327
Dave I am surrounded by people in exactly the same situation, as for Facebook I do not want to know
Richard

Odd - the half dozen or so I mentioned are spread across the country. All have partners who can still do the shopping. It's very bad if there are two of you at risk and not on the radar. Hope you get the help you need.
--
*It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

The ones that I know live alone and don't drive (and never have). That is quite a difficult set of hard constrains when your normal lift arrangements are curtailed by government intervention at short notice.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 25/03/2020 15:13, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Thanks Richard.

The system has to catch up quickly with all those hidden disabled who were previously supported by their families if they are going to lock down private travel - which seems to me like the next logical step.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 12:06:05 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

Relative should be getting DLA/PIP and that will qualify them for a bus pass.

With a bus pass they may be able to use local authority or charitable dial-a-journey type services.

Just back from Aldi, it was very quiet and (apart from pasta and pasta sauce, and beans) fairly well stocked. Even had tomato puree and tinnned soup.
Owain
On 25/03/2020 13:26, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

I know they *should* be but they aren't and that is the problem.
They have never registered for anything beyond their workplace pension which was available when they were forced to retire early by ill health. Broken hip after a bad fall which led to the bone disease diagnosis.
A bus pass is no use to someone who can't do much more than go outside only as far as the dustbin and back without assistance.

Without someone to support them they cannot walk outside safely. On a good day they are just about OK until they fall but then cannot get up again without assistance. Falling is almost inevitable every trip.

The Adli's and Lidl's I have visited have both been quite civilised.
Quite honestly the big Tesco's was like an inner circle of hell. The customers were awful behaving like locusts and had stripped the shelves bare. There were young women employees trying to do their own shopping after their shift on the verge of tears trying to find stuff to buy.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 3/25/2020 1:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Locally, we had twice a week bus service to the nearest town with banks and supermarkets, and once a week to the nearest railway station. Both have ceased operation due to the pandemic, so a bus pass won't help. Dial-a-journey services present a problem - how do you keep 2 metres apart?
Any one who can and has not done so yet should consider registering. I have just been on Sainsbury’s website and apparently they are going to use the government database to identify vulnerable persons to prioritise de livery slots. I know this might grate on some people’s sensibilitie s about who knows what about you but if it puts food on my table so what?
I presume the other big four will have the same access for the same purpose s.
Richard
On 25/03/2020 21:50, S Viemeister wrote:

Round here the last bus service to the village was decades ago. There was a school bus for children only but it stopped when they closed.
Plenty more villages in North Yorkshire lost all their bus services during the austerity cuts following the 2008 crash.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Our local ASDA had toilet rolls this morning!!!
--
bert

This may or may not be relevant to your geographical position, but last Sunday my nearby Tesco had an entry queue of considerable length (~100m or so). However, Monday morning it was reportedly not especially busy, and neither was it today as about 10am. I assume that, locally, sufficient people now have their grocery safety margin in place, and the situation has calmed. This also may happen where you are, so it may be worth an occaisional test visit.
#Paul
On 25/03/2020 14:01, #Paul wrote:

The shoppers were so unruly that I would not want to risk getting infected by their abysmal behaviour. I felt for the staff. It seems that the largest stores attract the worst type of customer. It would take some effort to be there for 10am (at least it would have done when there was still a rush hour) and we usually have to work in the mornings. Much easier to shop in our own local store and then deliver it.
I have other reasons now for not wanting to go there. I don't want to catch the virus and bring it back into my relatively isolated community (although I have heard today on the grape vine that a family in a neighbouring village already now has it).

Not a chance. We won't be going back there until this has ended.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Supermarkets seem to be getting their act together now. Limiting the number of people allowed in store then one out one in. Also taped down two metre markers outside to keep social distancing in the queue.
--
bert

Surely those who are genuinely vulnerable would already be on the NHS database?
--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.