OT Rant - Idle Essex Polis again

Mike wrote:

Jaguars for a start.

Which
I realise Rolls Royces now count as German but I don't recall Jags being so - yet.
In any case the Jag is fitted with safety tyres.
Mike wrote:

Its not. Its a standard radial. Well insoafr as any huge low profile tyre is 'standrad'.. No sponge in it, and will go flat instantly if puntured or subject to rim damage.

<snip>
Pirelli
even
You utter moron...
Mike wrote:

Not on my limited-to-155 mph car.
I poped wone - and the wheel bent - in a council provided pothole, and believe me, its noticeable allright.
And impossible to drive on at almost any speed. I know because I saw wheel and tyre were wrecked, so drove it 2 miles home on the rim.
As a driver who is not afraid of 150mph, I drove at 7mph all the way. That was a safe speed in my estimatin for the conditions.

A puncture happens on any tyre. Since we are not supposed to be doing 150mph plus, sales of non speed rated tres are allowed.

That's not a blow-out - it's just usual for UK roads.

Actually you'd have been booked for it if the police had seen it, even though it probably was the sensible thing to do.

Punctures yes. But tread failure due to high speed is 99% down to inadequate tyres.
Mike wrote:

I thought the legal requirment was that the speed rating of the tyre had to match the capabilities of the car (i.e. exceed its max speed), irrespective of how fast you personally plan to drive it.
--
Cheers,

John.

Yes. But it's not even checked in the MOT so most UK fast cars as they get older migrate to cheaper lower speed tyres. We even allow the fitting of used tyres, often from accident write-offs. This to my mind is criminal.
Mike wrote:

Why?
(FU set)
Mike wrote:

Police? Down here? There isn't one for over 10 miles...
I didn't see another car at all.

Oh, no argument there, but the OP was contending that all cars that do 150mph plus come with blowout proof tyres. Its simply not so.

That was me but the message has got well confused in this morase I'm afraid.
What I said was that the majority German cars capable of reaching their 155mph limiters are delivered with safety tyres. This was based on repmobiles provided at some pretty major German companies but I agree these are optional and not always the case,
al wrote:

Motorways were originally designed for 140mph speedsd. Ive ben driven on one at that speed many yeras ago. Quie safe if the traffic is light. Lethal and impossible if it isn't.

Yes. over 150 is where things start to get more aero and less weight on road cars. I tend to feel safe up to about 130mph...more than that and there is usualy not enough visibility on UK roads...german autobahns are better, but even so, its not a speeed you can often do when there is traffic around.
Needless to say I don't actually make a habit of breaking speed limits. Although I have on some occasions when no one else was about..;0-)

<snip>

driven on

The trouble is, it doesn't stop idiots trying. Anyone can drive fast, few can do so safely, and many the idiot who considers themselves safe to drive at such speeds are the ones who are the most unsafe.
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Sadly neither do speed limits stop it either.
Most people who are stupid enough to drive at completely insane speeds, are smart enough to do it in stolen cars. Or a police car of course.
Like so many prohibitions, the peole who get caught are the mostly law abiding who suffer from a moments inattention. Who actually have insurance, correct nunmber plates, MOT's and own the vehicles they drive....
I am totally unconvinced that the average chav out of his bonce on crack driving a stolen car at stupid speeds is in any way either going to be stopped by a rigidly enforced speed limit, or indeed the cause of most fatal accidents. Just the ones that get the news.
Like the 4 dead yesterday , mum driving an overloaded Xsara to a kids party, and wipes out her own and someone elses family and an innocent motorist. Bet she wasn't exceeding any speed limits. And hadn't got a license full of endorsements either.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/PA_NEWA1176671117383297A000?source=PA%20Feed
etc. etc.
Bet she doesn't get banned from driving and fined a thousand pounds and a three month jail sentence for manslaughter, overloading, failure to ensure safety belts all on, dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention.. etc etc.
Just a 'poor hardworking 45 year old mum'
Or a bloody criminal, in my book.
But if she was a chav in a a nicked car...well its probably 5 years in jail isn't it?

LOL .. try doing that speed around the M6 (if that's the one that goes around the top of B'ham) ... you'll fall straight off the road. I did it at 100mph once with snow tyres fitted still and had to slow to about 60mph as they started to melt and slide all over the place! And yes Jerry, it was at night with no other cars around me.

driven on

light.
goes
did it at

60mph as

it was at

...and proves that you shouldn't be riding a push-bike let alone be driving...

No Jerry, it proves I like to play around with cars - which I why I bring them out on tracks. However, on the roads, I know their limits and when I feel things going pear shaped I know what to do. I never feel comfortable in a new car until I've thrashed it around a bit. You can't know where the limit is until you've safely passed it a few times - not that you need to drive on the limit normally, but you may well find yourself there by no choice of your own and will be all the better for knowing what to do!
al wrote:

I agree. The first thing I want to know about a potential purchase is whether it stops in time. Then whether it behaves itself when swerved. That alone caused me to utterly reject the Yaris...as well as its nasty noisy engine.
You need to know that te car you are in will behave predictably when called upon...and hope that you never have to.
The wifes Punto, whilst only capable of 90mph, is utterly predictable in handling, reaosnably quiet, and outperforms an MG Midget of 1970 vintage in every possible way...and is comfortable crusing at 70-80, and will just stop from that without brake fade from that if you have to.
Flimsy and I wouln't want to roll it or get a side impact, but apart from that the bigest danger would be from being bashed in the head by te dog sitting on the back seat.
Whether it goes as fast as its claimed is seldom an issue. Acceleration is useful, for overtaking, but that's about it. As long as I can get about 85 out of a vehicle, its enough mostly for shorter runs, and about 120plus is best for long legged crusing abroad.

Hurrah .. I'm not the only one!! My Mum has a Yaris that she insures me on sometimes when I visit. Damn that thing's come closer to killing me than any car. I've never driven anything so unpredictable before and plain unsafe (well, not that's manufactured that way anyway!).
First problem on a damp roundabout ... accelerated through the final part of the bend towards the slip road exit. Actually lost the back end and almost spun it! On a FWD 1 litre car!!! Had to go round the roundabout again to avoid an embarrassing stop!
Second problem came when driving my Mum to the airport with three of us in the car. Came to a roundabout (purely coincidental!!) on a downhill slope at about 25mph and applied the brakes normally and in good time. As it approached the stopping point the wheels just locked for no good reason. Hadn't even put her through cadence braking before - she had no idea what was going on and thought I was trying to kill her!

at
at
I'm not surprised, snow tyres are designed for ..... snow as in F1 where wets will overheat if used on a dry track
Regards Jeff