OT Rant - Idle Essex Polis again

seriously
You lack comprehension. I repeat: " Any car hitting a object at 80mph will shatter and the occupants seriously injured or dead".
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

You lack ... well everything. But I'm sure you're Mom's told you that often enough.
Try answering with some facts rather than repeating yourself.
Doctor Evil wrote:

While you lack verbs, and sense.
On the verbs point - did you perhaps have a hand in writing the New Labour pledge card this time round? It had the same kind of verbless construction, drawing from the <collective-noun-we-care-about> <adjectival-phrase-connoting-improvement> template. (Eliza, meet SHRDLU ;-)
On the 'sense' point: cars don't 'shatter', even at 80mph. They're engineered with huge attention to crash performance, particularly the head-on case. What they do is *crumple* at the front - the front bit is made to deform, squash up, bend, *not* shatter, and in doing so take up most of the energy of the ton-plus of car going from 80 mph to 0 mph rather quickly. The design intention is that the central passenger compartment stays more or less rigid and intact, with the people in it restrained by seatbelts as they decellerate from 80mph to 0 in, say, a second. They'll be injured as they do so, but will have a good chance of survival. Anyone on a bike (push or motor) wot's been crashed into, of course, stands no such chance: hence the name lovingly applied to car drivers by bikers - 'cagers'.
(The energy is pretty damn substantial: half-em-vee-squared, so using the thumbnail approximation of 2mph = 1meter-per-sec, and calling the car's mass a ton, we've got 1000 * 40 * 40 = 1.6MJ in that their moving mass. Decellerate it over the course of 1 second, and you're dissipating that energy at a rate of 1.6MW - or, in terms familiar to you, some 60 combis going flat out for that one second. And if you're decellerating from 80mph to 0 in that 1 second, that's an accelleration of 4g; so you'll end up well bruised against your seatbelt, and if you hit anything more solid the chances of getting on the front cover of Vogue will be even more remote.)
Whether occupant cages make great public policy is a separate argument. The work on 'risk compenstation' puts some evidence behind the joke-with-a-point that the best safety device would be removing the driver's seatbelt and putting a large spike in the middle of the steering wheel. In my role as benevolent-dictator-for-the-year, I'd like to try that on an experimental basis as the sentence for those caught speeding in dangerous circumstances; since the bulk of such convictions would, I expect, be of young healthy males in souped-up old BMWs, it might also increase the supply of transplant organs...
Stefek

will
I read what you wrote and it is clear you no sense whatsoever.
< snip misinformation >
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

Ahh ... he no sense no he don't he. No?
You complete spanner ...

Bit early to be on the sauce?
--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Doctor Evil wrote:

IYM, 'I what you and it clear you no sense whatsoever'.
It' sad, really. I over the moon when we finally the back of the grey tail-end of the Thatcher years. I daft enough to the promises of the incoming administration. The scales began to from my eyes with the volte face over encryption legislation - from 'wrong in principle and unworkable in practice' to 'not compulsory, no, just incentivised voluntary' in the space of 12 months a little breathtaking; even if the process of cooperation which we in place of the confrontational approach actually quite useful benefits, that more a result of goodwill and happy accident than planning.
But supplier capture in action, not only over ID cards but many other IT projects - and such glorious idiocies of PFI as the * over of the Inland Revenue building assets to Mapeley, tax-dodgers of a high order in the opinion of the Parliamentary Treasury Committee < http://www.parliament.uk/parliamentary_committees/treasury_committee/tc120203_18.cfm > - long since the shine off the Bright New Dawn. C' la vie...
* there a gerund here, which strictly n't a verb, but more fun to the spirit as well as the letter of the game

80mph
The only person giving out miss information is you,

Please drive at 120mph and hit a bridge for me. Come back and tell us what happened.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

Please try it yourself. The PM may call for a bank holiday in celebration!

object at

us what

The one thing that won't happen is the vehicle shattering [1], please go and look the word 'shatter' up in a dictionary...
[1] unless it's a GRP bodied vehicle
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Probably because even she would not sleep with him...
--
Cheers,

John.

===============================^==============================^
ROTFLMAO......
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
[40 lines snipped]

Sadly not hearts, though.    :o)

That would be hearts on a stick, then?
--
*To err is human. To forgive is against company policy.

Stefek Zaba wrote:

<snip>
Too right... ;-)

OK you got me: SHRDLU ?
(and would that be Eliza as in DoNotMuch, or the AI program that may in fact be DrDrivel?)

You can see the story in the paper now,
"Evidence is mounting to suggest that the new eco friendly cars built by Dr. Drivel (very) Limited, entirely from terracotta and recycled combi boiler heat exchangers, may have growing concerns over safety. New vehicle owner Mr. G. Ulybell, said "I was very pleased with my new car at first - it was certainly very warm during the winter, what with all that roof insulation. I am not that tall and the lack of headroom did not bother me much. However I got a bit worried when I was reversing into a space in a supermarket and managed to hit a shopping trolley. One minute I was sitting in my nice new car, the next I was sat on a damp car park floor in a pile of orange dust."
Technicians from the manufacture are said the be examining the evidence, but are reported to have said that 'this is a classic case of improper use by the customer', they went on to say 'if you observe the precautions listed on pages 10 through 73 of the owners manual (not bumping into kerbs, or driving in the rain, taking it back for fresh batteries each week etc) then you should get many months faithful service from your car'"

To quote a very old sitcom "I have half" (did we forget something in the above calculation?" ;-)

Make that 40g while you are at it...

Other than perhaps as a anti glare coating ;-)

You have my vote... ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

But only if you fit two of them :-)
And only fill the petrol tank through plastic pipe specially prepared for the job with a hacksaw.
And keep the engine supersealed so that fresh air can't get in and heat can't get out.
John Rumm wrote:

google for it, or better still google for 'eliza shrdlu'. It's another 80s Classic AI programme ;-)

Guilty as charged! So it's only 30 combi's worth!

Um, there I don't follow you - g is (in thumbnail) 10 m/s^2, no? So going from 40 to 0 in 1s looks like 4g to me...

Why thank you. That leaves me only another 41,999,999 to garner - or, if elected on the kind of majority which put the current lot back in, maybe just 9,999,999 will do...
Stefek

It predates that. "SHRDLU" is the key order on a row of a Linotype keyboard. If a Linotype operator made a mistake there was no way to correct it, so he filled up the line with nonsense (by running his finger down the row of keys) until the machine made a line of type (hence "Linotype") then reset the line. Hopefully, the compositor then spotted the row of "SHRDLUSHRDLUSHRDLUSHRDLUSHRDLU" and took it out before printing. Occasionally they didn't...
Huge wrote:

Aye, that's the genesis of the program's name. I think it's the *second* row of a Linotype, innit? Never seen one, mind, but heard that they keys are deranged in English-letter-frequency order. Sad gits like me who sometimes do letter-substitution puzzles remember this as ETAION SHRDLU. The Net carries not a few pages attributing this observation to Samuel Morse; there's an SF story of that title, and 'Etaion Shrdlu' was, it seems, a popular US college-newspaper penname...
Stefek