OT Rant - Idle Essex Polis again

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Actually it has. Al round visoin is vastly improved, and mirrors - especially split mirrors - are way in advance of what used to be the norm.
Thecars are less fatguing, and easier to drive - power steering and power brakes certyainly are part of the 'interface'
What has been lost, is the attitude to driving that I as a teenager was aware of - that it was a dangerous business, one had better be good and very careful, and that no amount of sticking to the rules will guarantee safety in a world of idiots equipped with lethal wepaons. Its no use being leaggly in the right, and dead...temporarily exceeding speed limits has got me out of accidents more than once...
...and sorry, if its my only chance of escaping death by deer, I will drive on the wrong side of a double white line...

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Had to read that a couple of times ... ;)
a
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

OK,
dangerous
why
norm.
So you have mirrors sticking out of your skull then, were you born that way or is it the result of the last time you crashed and went though the windscreen ?!...
You brain less moron.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Interesting phrase. A new one you invented yourself? You no-brain, more moron!
a
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

It hasn't moved on enough to protect you at 120mph hitting a solid object.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Though the speed of hitting the object seems to have moved from 80mph to 120. By Wednesday progress will be such that you can hit it at 200mph.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Nor at 70 mph without seatbelts and airbags. Or probably at 30 mph in the average 1965 car.
--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<snip>

have been

and a

country
driving
Exactly, our roads and drivers are not fit for faster speed limits and probably never will be. What is needed is a zero tolerance to speeding.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

That would seem to show a total lack of awareness of conditions - a blanket assumption that below the speed limit = safe, above = unsafe. It even assumes that the speed limit selected is even appropriate for the road in every case.
--
Cheers,

John.

/=================================================================\
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Rumm wrote:

Assuming that the speed limit is never greater than the determined (insofar as such a thing can be) safe speed, and the fact that our speed limits are in 10mph intervals, surely it is the case that on average the maximum safe speed is 5mph more than the speed limit (e.g. if the safe speed is judged to be 35mph the road will have a 30 limit)
--
Tony Bryer SDA UK 'Software to build on' http://www.sda.co.uk
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Absolutely. It makes no sense that 70 mph is 'safe' in rush hour urban motorways but 71 mph isn't on the M78 at 5am on a summer Sunday. Where I did 140 mph...
--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

limits and

a
the
urban
Where I

I'm not suggesting that '70 mph' is safe at any time - see my other reply.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

and
the
No, it's a way of instilling a 'respect' in road users that is now sadly lacking. There could be a zero tolerance to other things like lane discipline, I just think that a zero tolerance to speeding would be more effective as it would apply to all roads
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

No. It does not installl respect in anything. Merely a low cunning that causes road users to slam on the brakes every time they see a speed camera, because very few people are aware of EXCATLy how fast they are travelling to the nearest 10mph, and safety dictates they do NOT spend all there time looking at the speedo.
I tried to drive from surrey to cambs one on cruuise control, set up to never exceed 70mph.
After about an hour I was so bloody frightened at the number of times i really NEEDED to temprarily exceed the limit to achieve safe distances between me and other cars that I turned the bloody thing off.
Lorries driving 'on the limiter' are a major cause of bunching and congestion. Especially when one decises it almost can overtake the other...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

limits
a
like
would
that
are
spend
You really are either totaly inexperianced or are totaly clueless.

to
times i

distances
Why did you need to speed up, the only reasons would be either your own lack of driving skills or other peoples - as I said, there needs to be a zero tolerance and a vast improvement in driving standards.
I accept (as the police do) that sometimes one has to apply power to achieve safe gaps or aviod other problems but this is caused by bad driving in the first place, such as people pulling into non existent gaps for example.

other...
That is an argument for the delimiting of lorries, something that I would hole heartedly agree with, either that or the vastly reduced cost of fuel for HGV's. The reason you tend to get lorries doing as you describe is due to the fact that to slow down can increase the fuel consumption considerably.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No - it's an argument for raising the price of fuel by about 2:1 and forcing goods that are capable of being carried so onto the railways or canals.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You have a "hole" in your heart? Or are you as good with English and grammar as you are with driving?
a
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I should point out that if you are on the limiter you are exceeding the UK speed limit for your vehicle by 2kph.
SO SLOW DOWN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Other peoples. When someone pulls in 2 feet from your bumper, and sits there for mile upon mile, frankly I will accelerate, and overtake something, and let him sit behind that.
It may be selfish, but its my life.
Keeping well clear of other drivers is as far as I am concerned the best way to save my own life.
My ideal place to be is in the slow lane of an empty motorway doing something like 70-90mph.
Sadly, you have to take the roads as you find them.

Of course it is. In an ideal world of good drivers you would not need speed limits either. Everyone would self limit to the best speed for them, their cars and the conditions.
Deer would be kept off the roads, and so would pedestrians. Motorcyclists would have their own roads, and cyclists too, and the tooth fairy would leave a million quid gilt edged bond every time you lost a tooth.

? I don''t see how slowing down can incraese fuel consumption.
Its good that trucks are limited to about 60mph, because frankly and artiuculated vehicle has oproblems at high speeds, and not all are up to it. Nor frankly are the brakes and tyres on most of them.
I would therefore say that a driver could have the limiter off, but be chargeable if his tacho showed he had consistently exceeded 60mph for more than a minute at at time.
So if he can't overtake in under a minute, he has to give up.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
al wrote:

Unless you can see that there aren't any for three miles. ;-)
UK better class of roads are good for about 150mph in terms of visibility curvature and surface finish. Germany is better.
As you say, what is within acceptable limits depends entirely on who else is around and their understanding of driving.
Its very unsafe to overtake at more than about a 25-30mph speed differential. So I would not e.g. want to exceed 100mph in one lane with traffic doing 70mph one lane over... that was one of the things identified as a lethal mixture in Germany., Porches and Merecedes barreling down the outside at 150mph, when a car pulls out to pass a truck doing 55mph...without realising just how far behind a car doing 150mph can be when you look, to when you pull out..
Having said that. I have cruised across Germany all day at 100-115mph..and would be happy to do 120-130 there when clear of the major traffic ...certainly far far happier than doing 70mph on a crowded noise-to-tail M25.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.