OT Rant - Idle Essex Polis again

I wonder why in this entire thread, to my knowledge you have made two comments. Both of which contribute nothing to the discussion and make you sound like an idiot. Knowing your posting to this NG for some time Mary, I know that you are not. But I wonder what it is that I have done, or that you think it is that I have done, that is making you feel the need to made 13 year-old grade snipes periodically?
If you don't have anything intelligent to say ... you know the drill. If you have some sort of issue with me, stop beating around the bush and have the guts to say it. It's hard enough work laughing/replying to all the tripe that Jerry/IMM post all the time.
al wrote:

Or overtake on the inside.

Happens all the time in London. Given a clear road everyone drives in the outside lane. I just assume they're turning right and have forgotten to signal - very common, since signalling wastes so much petrol. ;-) And pass them on the left.
--
*To err is human. To forgive is against company policy.

So I can't be the only one then who sometimes ponders whether some of those seemingly inexplicable head-on crashes on single carriageway roads aren't caused primarily by the overtakee closing the door on the overtaker.

Since everyone driving faster than Joe Public is by definition a dangerous nutter it is obviously Joe Publics duty to do all he can to prevent anyone from overtaking as he is already driving as fast as is safe (and sod what it says in the Highway Code).

I suspect I am not as old as TNP but even I learnt to drive when dual carriageways were rare and Barbara Castle hadn't been inflicted on the motoring public and my driving instructor had a very simple philosophy about overtaking. The wrong side of the road is a very dangerous place to be so when it is safe to overtake put your foot down and don't hang about. Trouble is if you do that in a powerful car these days by the time you are past the 2nd or 3rd car in the row you are approaching 100 mph.
--
Roger

Roger wrote:

I once drove a discotheque light rig packed in a 1600 Bedford CA MkII van to Dartmouth naval college all the way down the A303 at about 4-5am on a bank holiday saturday... after a while I gave up trying to stay in the left hand lane. I simply went into the right hand lane and stayed there overtaking one 40mph caravan after another after another, only moving back in when I saw the extremely rare set of headlights heading towards me..that machine would barely do 65mph and to save fuel it was cruised between 55 and 60...I probably hold the british record for the most caravans overtaken in a single overtaking manoeuver...
al wrote: Countries with stupidly low speed limits like UK, Ireland

None of which is seen very much on US interstates.
Mind you that's possibly because the drivers are thinking "Maybe he's got a gun!"

Breaking. You're welcome.
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Thats because they have no experience of fast driving by and large.

Chicken and egg. If speed limits were raised, people would learn to drive at them.
In my youth, it was an event to exceed 45mph even on a main road. 50mph was daring, and most cars would not reach 60mph. cable connected drum brakes, skinny tyres of cross ply construction, no safety belts at all, and indicators that mimicked you actually puting your arm out of the window...
How could people in such cars learn to drive at over 100mph? Simple. We just learnt to save our lives and get where we were going in a reasonable time, and the cars and the roads got better, up till about 1980...when it all went back to red flag terriotory.

<snip>
low
people
rather
No, I suspect that many would (as they already do with the current limits), but there will be those who still consider 'Ten over the top' as acceptable and thus we see 'limit creep' up to 90 mph on Motorways for example.

Which would be absolutaly fine. 90mph is still crawling on many roads.
wrote in message news:429b01f7$0$48347>

top'
Motorways
roads.
No it is not.

It would be more sensible to implement what was reported on the BBC website a while back, i.e. you get flashed if you pass the camera less than (say) 1.5 secs after the last car. IMO following too close is far more hazardous than speed itself.
Andy Dingley

They used to have this sensible system - called it a patrol car.

Any car hitting a object at 80mph will shatter and the occupants seriously injured or dead.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

fact
last 20

seriously
Well, it would in your case, but not everyone drives around in a Robin Reliant (or the modern equivalent, a Smart Car) !...

You are clearly a fool. If you want to die please be my guest, but you may take others with you.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

the
Robin
you may

Read the thread wanker....
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Or an Escort Ford....
--
Cheers,

John.

I thought you were experienced in the motor trade Jerry? What on earth is a "Robin Reliant" pray?

Utterly pointless statement. There are many ways to hurt yourself - any person walking into a fire on bonfire night will almost certainly be killed. Duh ...
Trains go well over 100mph too and the same could be said there.