OT Rant - Idle Essex Polis again

Sorry to inflict this on you, but Tuppence Mog won't listen any more.
I think this was a new low.
I found a house key today, and asked in the pub nearby if there'd been any enquiries, but no, but they would hold it in case.
But I decided to be a good citizen and run it to the nick, which was eerily deserted apart from the notices saying don't park in the yard (there's NOWHERE else.
But I was lucky, it was open, and after a time a blonde girl child appeared, so I offered her the key.
"Oh we don't take keys"
My enquiry as to what they DID take was blanked, ditto the followup rant about Essex fuzz being a TWOS.
Apparently if they did take keys, they would soon be up to their knees in them - however, she did take tthe key, but I'm sure she instantly binned it.
I don't know if the owner called the police about a lost key, perhaps s/he knows better than to do that.
I'm completely gobsmacked at this, I would have thought even the cops could have risen to the challenge of holding on to a key in case the owner called.
This follows recent discoveries that they take recovered stolen cars (my nieces) straight to a breakers yard, to the breakers and their mutual benefit. But not before issuing a lot of tickets to the owner, even though it's logged as stolen,
Well, if you have been, thanks for reading
mike
Weird, isn't it. I lost a set of keys once; I thought, if I found a set I would take them straight to the local Nick and save someone a pile of inconvenience and cost for about 5 minutes effort. Now I know why they never turned up! (This was Gloucestershire)

I've got a tag on mine. All you do if found is post them in any pillar box. The company who does the tag - as part of other services - pays the postage. I've only ever lost one set of keys and they came back via this route. So thanks to the kind person who posted them.
--
*It ain't the size, it's... er... no, it IS ..the size.

Hi Mike

Don't be silly - how would they manage to man all those mobile speed cameras if they wasted time helping the public?
:-)
Dave

The only good thing about mobile speed cameras is the genuine camaderie it engenders between road users. Yesterday, there was one hidden in a drive by me - I knew it was there because at least a dozen motorists flashed me to indicate this - and I for one flashed another dozen fellow motorists once I had crawled past the trap. I sincerely hope these highway robbers had a blank day
Tricky

Course if people followed the speed limits then they'd go off and do something else like collecting lost keys etc.
However a lot of people speed, so they keep the revenue coming in.
Next?.....
--
Tony Sayer

When the police think it's OK to drive on a public road at 160 mph, where's the moral justification for revenue cameras on a motorway set at 82?
Dingley" snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com says...

The police don't make the law, they just enforce it sometimes.

He said "moral justification" not "the law".
snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk says...

Some senior police officers have supported raising the speed limit on certain motorways for a long time, but when it comes down to it they work for the home secretary.

And it's all about raising taxes by any method possible.
Do you know something, I would seriously consider voting Conservative if they promised to abolish speed traps
Tricky

Indeed they did (and reasonably so, IMHO) -- although they've been silent on this for some time, oddly coincident with NuLab and the profitability of revenue cameras.

on
Not really as they are operating a soft limit, in other words very few get booked for doing 80 on a 70 mph section of Motorway, indeed it could be argued that increasing the limit to 80 and operating it as a hard limit would cause more drivers to get booked as many more people would drift over the 80 and into a hard limit IYSWIM.
The reason that HMG is reluctant to raise the limit is due to the fact that their is, AIUI, evidence to suggest that there are safety implication, although car design has radically improved in the last 20 years the part that controls it has not changed much in well over 3,000 years...

That's been the case until recently. The new cameras on the M4 are supposed to be set to catch anyone at 82mph.
Now personally I'm more worried about the effects of sudden braking and sudden tailbacks than I am about people driving at 80, or even 90mph.
<snip>

and
90mph.
Yes that is a problem, people don't look far enough in front of their vehicles so don't react to speed limits etc until far to late - hence they tend to brake late and violently, causing the dangerous effect you mention...
Basically (IMO) the standard of driving in this country is far to low to allow any significant increase in speed limits, with more people now regarding the possession of a driving licence as a right rather than a privilege I can't see things improving (especially with the selfish "Me, me, me" attitude around these days) unless there is a zero tolerance to any and all offences.

Actually, I think increasing the speed limit and being more tolerant would lead to more mature and responsible driving over time - as it has done in the continent. Countries with stupidly low speed limits like UK, Ireland and the USA all have the same problems on motorways. One half's a bunch of wallies going "look at that maniac going 75mph - I think I'll move out into the outside lane just to spite him because he's braking the law" and the other half going "look at this fuckwit going 65mph in the outside lane, I'm going to beep and flash and drive up his arse until he moves".
wrote in message news:4299922a$0$17080

low
people
rather
would
done in

No it would not.
They are actually far sticker on the continent, take France, you can loose your licence on the spot and end up stranded, or your vehicle can be impounded on the spot with the same effect.
Countries with stupidly low speed limits like UK, Ireland

bunch of

out into

the
lane, I'm

The problem is caused by the people who think the law doesn't apply to them...
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Which to be fair for most of the population most of the time, it doesn't ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

apply to

doesn't ;-)

Quite possibly, but it's the minority who then complain when booked.

I wonder how Al knows what people are thinking.
Or perhaps that's how he thinks ...
Mary