OT rant - electric caller with badge

In message , Owain writes

Well, it's MLM, plenty of ways to make money if you get in at the right level. Selling ticket to conferences and 'training' materials is a

*huge* part of the Amway thing, I'd be amazed if Betterware, Kleeneze etc weren't exactly the same.
Reply to
Clint Sharp

Extremely, we had a client list who were already customers and mail ins from adverts etc. so we knew that a mailshot would get us a good response, for some products it would be almost 100% but that was for mandatory upgrades. Once or twice we got more than 100%!

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I actually get very little from them, a sheet of special offers or a new cat ever couple of months at most. CPC on the other hand or viking direct....

Reply to
John Rumm

It would be nice to be supplied with a "tripwire" password for this purpose. i.e. if in doubt about a situation give them characters from a password that if used will flag up a dodgy transaction - but otherwise appear ok. That way a genuine caller would be able to spot the use of the tripwire and hence you would have verification that they were legit, a scammer would not be any the wiser until they tried using the code, which would trigger immediate investigation.

(would be particularly effective for those PIN verification devices that some online banks use new - it would stop them being useful to muggers etc for verifying pin number obtained under duress)

Reply to
John Rumm

Q. What difference does it make if they are saying something after you have said no?

A. They are in range and trespassing on your property. Treat yourself.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You got two Mars bars? Bastards.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from "John" contains these words:

Hmm .... did he have problems with his feet?

Reply to
Appin

No, that was the JW :)

- or perhaps that's what made him think of the door slamming thing?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

So what's your suggestion for something better?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The message from Andy Champ contains these words:

That's a fishy story! :-)

Reply to
Appin

You call them or arrange for a two-way authentication process.

Reply to
Mark

To get around this all the scammer would have to do is reject the initial password given and accept the second. If the user gave the correct password the first time then the scammer could simply say they typed the wrong one in the first time.

This might be useful.

Reply to
Mark

But the scammer has to ring a number of times to get two different letters or numbers each time. It would very quickly become obvious that something fishy was going on when, from the rest of the conversation, it is obvious that the scammer does not really have access to your account details.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It works fine when they call you. You give them *only* two letters/ numbers from much longer passwords and they then have access to your account details. Ask them a simple question about the account activity to verify they really do have access.

You still haven't come up with anything better as far as i can see.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Take the following two scenarios:

  1. Scammer asks for all (or part) of your password. You give them the wrong answer. They tell you it is wrong and ask for the password again. You give them the correct answer.

  1. Scammer asks for all (or part) of your password. You give them the correct answer. They tell you it is wrong and ask for it again. You insist it is correct and give it to them again. They tell you they typed it in wrongly the first time.

Reply to
Mark

You need to understand that genuine callers will *never* ask for all of the password. Only ever two characters which they are prompted for by their computer, e.g. "Can I have the 3rd and 8th characters from your password?" followed by "Can i have the 1st and 4rd digit of your passcode?".

If I deliberately give them the wrong answer, and they're able to tell me it's wrong then they must (a) know the password already, (b) be genuine, or (c) lucky. Even if it's (c), what happens next in you scenario?

of posting.

And? What does that prove or disprove? They still only have two characters from a much longer password. What use is that to the scammer?

If they call the next day for two more characters, and the next day, and... then I would get suspiciosu before they get anywhere near the whole password and number.

As I've said, but you don't seem to understand, once the system accepts you it's very easy to determine if they are genuine either by the nature of their questions orby asking your own questions.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You are missing the actual scenario though...

  1. Scammer asks for all or part of password you give them the tripwire response. They tell you it was wrong

Them telling you it wrong - means that you know they either keyed it wrongly, or they are scamming. A legit caller would have identified the password as the tripwire one.

so you respond that you gave them the right password, or end the call then.

Reply to
John Rumm

Under what circumstances do you do this? If you suspect them, just hang up.

What are they expected to do when they identify the tripwire?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You use it when you have doubts.

By giving a scammer the tripwire there is the possibility they will try and reuse it. Directly calling attention to their activities. A legit caller would recognise it as distinct from just a "wrong" password and would handle the call differently.

Request the person calls them on their published numbers on a matter of security. Should the scammer do so, they would re-use the scammed tripwire, the real punter however could phone and use real credentials and would also be aware of the fact they had used the tripwire recently when contacted.

Reply to
John Rumm

It doesn't matter that they only ask for part of the password. They don't need all of it.

In my scenarios they always tell the user that their first answer is wrong.

Because they could easily have convinced the user that they are genuine. They don't need the whole password.

As I've said, but you don't understand, is that they don't need the whole password.

Reply to
Mark