OT rant - electric caller with badge

Today ...

"hello I'm Elaine form Wherever, don't worry, I'm not selling anything, if you were given £1500 would you spend it on a) a conservator..."

"No I'd spend it on a call girl, what do you charge "

Click Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So that worked

Reply to
geoff

Brilliant.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Next thing of course is the police around with a sexual harassment claim.

However...

takes a pro.

Though I was once weeding my front hedge when a couple of JWs came by. I chatted to them for over an hour as I got absolutely every scrap of couch grass out of that hedge - it's never looked so good - and ended up suggesting they might like to read "The Selfish Gene". Never saw them again!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Oi harn't git a clew.

Dialogue has a choice of character sets which (I think) it picks one from the list as most suitable for the current NG.

I had dis'd the machine earlier today in a somewhat vain effort to tidy up the rat's nest of wiring to the peripherals, together with a new usb hub and trackball. That will unquestionably have resulted in everything being allocated to different usb ports, but I can't think that would have caused such a character set selection.

Just had a look back at some other posts and most have come as bog standard us-ascii.

Reply to
The Wanderer

geoff coughed up some electrons that declared:

Classic - must remmeber that one!

Reply to
Tim S

I don't like that system, I can see it's fairly secure but spolling is a bit of challenge at the best of times counting at the same time makes it worse and of course the pass "word" probably isn't a word as they'll have insisted on at least one number in there...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Andy Champ coughed up some electrons that declared:

Just ask the plod if he's feeling unwell. As you heard swine flu was going around...

Reply to
Tim S

In message , Tim S writes

It was also on one of my business lines at CET which she seemed to think was a private household. I have no sympathy for such stupid cold callers

Reply to
geoff

The old George Best line about what he did with his money; 90% he spent on booze, women, and cars. The rest he wasted.

Reply to
John Rumm

The ones around here are more persistent. That would only get a response on the lines of 'Don't you believe in God?' They usually have a small child with them to look wide-eyed at such a concept.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

nightjar They usually have a small child

One once asked me "Why do you think there is so much adversity and suffering in the World?". I replied "Because of people like you!". He looked quite offended, but his companion, who was standing slightly behind him was grinning like a Cheshire cat - I think I'd summed this character up quite well.

Reply to
David in Normandy

I loved it.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"nightjar .me.uk>"

I am always amazed that do many posters on this subject fail to get the concept of saying no. What do you not understand? You say "No thank you, I'm not interested" (politely) and shut the door. What difference does it make if they are saying something after you have said no?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I'm surprised that anyone can make a living out of it. I'm sure most people ignore or throw away the catalogue.

Reply to
Mark

'Cause we are British and it's not socially accepted to be so forthright.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

These calls have always been genuine for me. I still won't answer their questions though. It's about time companies woke up and asked the customer to call back, although a lot of people would complain about this!

Reply to
Mark

It's an old scam, but still going: Caller:- 'Hello, I'm from your bank / BS / phone co. etc., there's a problem with your account and we need to check your credit card details / passwords with you.

Householder:- 'Ah no, I'm security conscious 'cos I watch tv so I don't believe you'

Caller:- 'well in that case, hang up and ring back on the number on your CC /bill /phone book. When the bank etc. answer, ask for Honest Joe'

H/holder:- 'O.K.' Hangs up, looks up number, rings number, which of course doesn't work as 'honest Joe' is still on the line and hasn't released it from the original call.

John

Reply to
JTM

That I would prefer. Complaints could be mitigated by the wording used during the call and when people ask for the number to call explain that as the customer doesn't *really* know who the call has come from that for security to call the number on the card or statement.

I guess there could be a small risk that in the case of identity theft that the call goes to the scammer who then calls back and verifies the dubius transactions as valid but I can't see how you can protect against that. Even a letter would go to the scammer...

I've just checked my cards all but one has an 0845 number the one that doesn't is 0844. Small price to pay to stop fraud and not have your card blocked, only finding out at the checkout in Tesco and not having any other means of payment...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There's a password and a pass number for the One Account. You have to give two characters from each.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q