OT quad/trail bike obstructions

Seems the silly season is officially upon us again.

Twice in 2 days we have had unregistered (and doubtless untaxed, uninsured) quad bikes and scrambler bikes with accompanying foul mouthed yobs riding up and down the bridleway next to our house - grrr!

Anyone have any experience in "dissuading" them from returning? NB thinking of man made obstructions rather than garotting wires, shotguns, homemade explosives etc altho sometimes.........

I've had limited success with piles of largish logs, ugly old concrete lumps etc making a "pinch point" that they have to get off and dismantle to get past - still leaves me to go and rebuild it everytime tho!

Complicating factor is of course bridleway status which means I have to leave enough room to get a horse through.

Anyone got any thoughts or ideas how I can dissuade 'em?

ta Jim

Reply to
jim

A horse will be able to step over four of five 18" high "fences" across the path. Bikes will have to be carried over each one.

Reply to
dennis

I've had this down our green lane - legal for motor vehicles. I removed them all. I don't want to trip over them at dusk.,

I also found talking to the lads involved and reminding them where they could, and couldn't play, served to actually keep them in bounds. After admiring the bikes of course. No sense in antagonising what may be simple thoughtlessness.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Local bikers on the footpaths where I walk the dogs get me into grumpy old man mode, but to be fair the main issue is noise rather than confrontation or physical danger, and it's not that frequent.

Do you think they bother anyone else, or just you?

How close is "next to your house"? Close enough to get photographic evidence, either stills or via concealed CCTV? With evidence, you might be able to get some response from the police, particularly if you can show that these uninsured and unlicensed vehicles are also using public roads. Similarly the local Council rights of way person, especially if quads or

4x4s are tearing up the surface which have the responsibility to maintain.

If it's a "real" bridleway (still regularly used by horses) try the BHS county access officer, even if you don't ride yourself. Which county?

Reply to
newshound

For me so far it's noise, mind you that goes with the speed they ride without any consdiersation for other legitimate users - walkers (with kids), horses cyclists etc.

to get to and from the bridleway they have to pass other properties and ride on public roads to a greater or lesser degree depending which end they "start" at....

Yes within 30 feet!

what constitutes "evidence" in these circumstances - simple CCTV? or are we talking CCTV with date & time stamps? I can probly get "simple" cctv rigged up.....

Well it's a pretty rough surface except the bit we use for access which I have single handedly patched upo ver the years (grrr all for these tw*ts to go hell for leather along! grrr etc) - I've never known the council do anything for maintenance.

It is indeed regulalrly used by horses - I'd say daily judging by the excrement- county = west yorks

thanks to all so far jim

Reply to
jim

the softly approach has worked with the younger ones (say upto 14) - possibly with a line about "the policemen I spoke to told me to take pictures - so smile please" The 20+ category are altogether a different (and sometimes menacing) breed - I spoke to the first lot and explained twas a bridleway - and was totally ignored! (didn't fancy producing me camera and snapping em there and then - to be honest ;>))

jim

Reply to
jim

Any form of obstruction which *may* cause an incident would be classed as illegal. As a horse rider myself I have had to negotiate many "man made" obstacles on bridleways in the past. Naturally for a confident rider a small leap over is fine, but for the beginners.novices this can be quite daunting, especially if you are unfortunate to come off. Perhaps approaching the local counil and reminding them of their legal obligations under

assist in preventing the problem escalating into something more dangerous and illegal. Your case specifically see SCHEDULE 7 Driving of mechanically propelled vehicles elsewhere than on roads National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949 (c. 97)

A bridleway is a public road

Reply to
Donwill

It might be interesting to ask this question on a legal group such as uk.legal.moderated, It might clarify the position in law before you approach the council.

Another thing you could do is to approach the other neighbours or even walking groups in the area and see if you can organise a collective walk at a time when the track is most used by bikers. The obstruction and nuisance to motorbikes caused by lots of walkers could persuade them to go elsewhere. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Not true.

Depending on it's classification it remains restricted to certain types of access. See news story was first published in Horse & Hound (18 May, '06)

A loophole that allowed 4x4s and trail bikes to use bridleways has been closed by the government

The government has quashed a legal loophole that enabled recreational motorists - with 4x4s, trail, quad and scrambler bikes - to use illegally public rights of way, citing "higher rights" anchored to historical use by horse-drawn vehicles.

New provisions under the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006 "extinguish all unrecorded public rights of way for motor vehicles" subject to certain exceptions, including private access to land or property.

Also referenced at

Don't you mean "A legal right to use the contryside was cynically stolen"?

Don't you mean "The hooray-henrys shouted louder. Don't want those nasty

4x4 owners using our countryside"?
Reply to
Huge

If it really is a bridleway then motorised vehicles are prohibited. Putting obstructions out is not a good idea as this is illegal as well. The primary responsibility rests with the Highways authority and the police. Unfortunately you face an uphill struggle to get either to take any action.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

No, its a public right of way, but its not necessarily legal for motorised traffic, which is IIRC the definition of a road..

Essentially off tarmac,there are 'green roads' bridleways and footpaths.

Being legal for motorised vehicles, horses and pedestrians respectively.

But all motorised vehicles on a green road need licenses/insurance too..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can I come and set up a tent in your suburban back garden?

Its not the 4x4 owners, its the townies who come out for a day off-roading' and haven't a clue what they are doing.

The hooray henry's have been using 4x4;'s for years to navigate the odd green road. If necessary.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Untrue. I drive down a bridleway, entirely legally, most days.

Reply to
Huge

Half past 2.

(It's about as relevant.)

Reply to
Huge

Aha! So its you annoying Jim is it?

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If I am, I want to WTF he's doing there.

:o)

Reply to
Huge

Then its not a bridleway, its a green road.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And they could claim the 'access to private land' exemption ... the servants have got to get the marquee and champagne into the field somehow.

Owain

Reply to
Owain