OT: PVRs

I've been trying to get my missus to agree to the purchase of one of these but she keeps coming up with: "What is there worth recording?" Damned awkward question that one. I thought "Rome" was terrific but you see one arm waving, spittle donor running around with his shirt pulled up over his head and you've just about seen them all.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Being a documentary-addict, I usually find something on C4 or More4 to record. Also on More4, "Daily Show" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm"... well worth checking out... This could open up a real can of worms here :-D

Reply to
Richard Phillips

PVRs aren't really about recording anything - but choosing when to watch something. If you watch TV then you're almost certainly going to enjoy it more if you watch at your convenience and without interruption. Even whilst watching 'live' TV the "what was that he said?" can be quickly answered with a re-wind and re-run as the programme you're watching is automatically recorded. And when you re-play the piece it's no consequence that you continue watching

2 or 3 minutes after it's broadcast.
Reply to
John Cartmell

Ask her (or yourself) if she/you still plans the day around what's on TV. If the answer is negative, save the money. If yes - then either fling out the TV (and do some more DIY) or get a PVR and become more selective in your viewing. Staying on the middle ground of constantly expecting something good to watch is the best waste of time activity going.... and it's getting worse - don't start me on commercials.

We *never* watch TV live as broadcast.

Reply to
Adrian C

By not really recording it?

I wish I had your enthusiasm.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

What - not even the news?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yup. Got the radio & for that!

Reply to
Adrian C

I asked. We still don't.

Saving is even less fun than watching TV.

What? and spend all that energy on the TV licence inquisition again?

I do like to take naps, especially since we bought that settee like Clint Eastwood's.

That's my whole point, being selective leaves so little to watch or record.

No, that's recently been superseded by being a Magpie in Mary Fisher's garden.

That would take great skill

Best part of tidal wave of dross IMO.

I usually can't be bothered to watch any other kind.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Aha. I sometimes listen to the radio on the TV. Not that I especially *trust* television news, or the weather.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In article , Mike Halmarack responded to:

'Record' suggests that you need to take conscious action. It's not like that. If you want to check the news when you get in then leave it on the news channel and, when you sit down you can sample the news as broadcast over the last 2 hours. If you have a toddler around then leave it on CBeebies and, when the toddler is ready to sit and watch (or jump around and copy) you can run the best programme broadcast over the last 2 hours. Consciously copy something and it gets better.

If watching a broadcast has ever been spoiled by interruptions (telephone, salesman at the door, spouse saying "can you do this *now*, lunch) then having a PVR will improve matters.

Reply to
John Cartmell

In the Which? report, the Sky boxes which do the same thing came top. Didn't read that part of it since I don't have Sky in any shape or form and never will, unless the dirty digger sells out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, now I understand, thanks. Only you could explain it so clearly.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Personally, I used to hardly watch any TV because either there was nothing on when I sat down to watch it, or I couldn't be bothered to organise my life around being at the TV when a certain programme was about to come on. Recording was too much hassle too (finding tapes etc, yawn).

Since getting the PVR, I have a habit now of sitting down when I get home from work for 5 mins and checking what's on all channels for the whole evening. I very often find just 1 or 2 or 3 progs worth watching. So I mark them for recording (literally a button press). I may or may not actually watch them that evening, due to having other things going on usually.

Anyway, it's amazing how quickly the programmes mount up... I've gone from someone who hardly ever found anything worth watching, to having a backlog of about 80-90 hours of stuff I struggle to reduce due to the constant new programmes coming in and topping up the pile as fast as I can watch them!

In other words, since getting the PVR, for 6 months I've never EVER said there's "nothing on". I've had approx 75 (average) programmes I would like to watch at any point in time over that period :)

(And I like to think I prefer the more "cerebral" end of broadcasting output, no soaps on my PVR!! It's surprising how much good stuff is broadcast when you can store it and access it so easily...)

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

My experience exactly! The good stuff is almost all on the free digital channels, or Channel 5 (sic - they get some good films these days).

I still don't watch a lot of the stuff we record, but now I have the extremely easy option of doing so, and it hasn't cost me hours of faffing around with clunky, incredibly slow, unreliable videotapes.

John

Reply to
John

Only stuff I watch live since getting a TiVo is live sport.

Reply to
Sean Black

I would have to say that the bulk of my programmes come from Channel4 and More4 (comedies, documentaries mainly), with the remainder being films sourced from many channels (including Channel 5!). I don't think there's been a programme on ITV(1) I've been interested in watching for about 6 months of PVR use, it's all garbage ;)

I actually have had to delete a lot of films because I need to make space (even with 160GB), it's so easy to record them when they come on again I don't mind doing this!

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

As I understand it you need a sub to muckydoc for Sky+ to work. Either free with the costly packges or an =A310/month on the cheap(er) ones.

My view as well, though I have spent =A320 with him to get a Freesat car= d so I can watch channel 4 and five from DSAT. The HDRW720 uses Gemstars GuidePlus+ data transmitted on analogue ITV for it's EPG, this is free. =

So with two digiboxes and the HDRW720 I have a "poor mans Sky+" system.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I plead guilty to recording and watching 'Neighbours' ... and a lot of 'cerebral' stuff too. My PVR is a Pace Twin, a great piece of work since they finally got the software right, and of course a big plus of a Freeview PVR is that BBC radio is as easy to record as TV.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Yup. Especially when you include times you're at work or asleep.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pray tell what you'd like to watch?

Reply to