OT _ Psychology of Firework Buyers

I can't understand the fascination with fireworks - except perhaps as a big display or a small display in the garden to amuse small children. I mean, we all know what a "Bang" sounds like - so why do people want to make their own "Bang" at considerable cost? Is it a case of trying to impress people with their extravagance? ("my bang cost £10"). Likewise - rockets. Why does anyone want to pay for one so that others get a better view of it than the person that lights it? Whoosh - its gone!

Reply to
John

In message , John writes

As a kid they held a fascination (and something to look forward to), and for those of us who never grew up, it still does

There's your psychology

The magic seems to have gone for me though, even though we got a bit over-exposed at school by the chaplain (who was on Countryfile last Sunday)

geoff

I used to know a guy with a lathe who used to make things to assist in the manufacture of fireworks for a chaplain - I wonder if there is a connection?

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a firework - but if I see one a few doors away then it saves me the cost of buying one. I don't need my own - any more than I need and inflated Santa on my wall.

Reply to
John

Countryfile last Sunday)

Sounds like he should have been on Crimewatch... ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Agreed.

Could be worse though, you could have an over inflated puffed up Gordon Brown on your wall. 8-((

Imagine that !

You'd need more than Rentokill, picture that face and think ...

Cratermass !

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

In message , John writes

Roy Lancaster - Kimbolton's just outside St Neots

Reply to
geoff

No that was one of the others ...

We made a few of our own fireworks in those days

Imagine that now !

Reply to
geoff

I thought it was Quatermass.

I loved the one where there was a monster in a disused Underground station which eventually had to be dispatched by connecting the entire output of Battersea power station to a tower crane and zapping the monster

Reply to
Andy Hall

Time flies - I must be going back into the 1960's with my recall of the guy with the lathe making press tools.

Reply to
John

You are confusing two different films (or possibly one film and one TV serial).

Electrocuting the monster, Westminster Abbey - Quatermass (film version)

Grounding the monster, above ground but originating from the newly built Hobs End tube station with the tower crane - Quatermass and the Pit (both film and TV versions).

Phil Young

Reply to
Phil Young

Cratermass was our nickname for the geography teacher at school who had suffered from severe acne over many, many, years !

Gordon Brown-Stuff's physiognomy is similarly unappealing to me.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I cannot understand why anyone is not fasinated with them

- except perhaps as a big

I did hear rockets will be banned by EU legislation next year. Shame.

I had a good £600 display this year with some superb bangs. All the guests to the party contribute and I invite all the kids on the street around into my garden when we light them. Watching the fireworks leave the ground is part of the fun. The kids disappear when the fireworks are over and the party continues. This way instead of everyone fetching a £10 pack of s**te fireworks we get proper fireworks. No need to go to a display where you pay OTT for the food, parking and entry and you can get pissed up and sleep on my floor for free.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I used to go to one like this - after about 5 mins most people were preferring the food and drink - leaving one poor sod to let off fireworks.

Reply to
John

In message , John writes

late sixties would be about right

Reply to
geoff

What a bore. I'd like to see all fireworks banned, if only for the sake of peoples' pets, but I'd be deeply disturbed if they ever were.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Have to say that I cannot understand how the sale of fireworks have slipped through the net thus far anyway... when you look at the stuff our nanny state has banned over the past couple of decades, how is it possible that over-the-counter sales of explosives to anybody who wants to buy them is deemed to be perfectly OK?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Sounds great - can I come next year :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You can offer the value added service of pressure washing his living room carpet to remove the guests plus the puke that they deposit on it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes. It will cost you 500 miles worth of fuel for a return trip.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

At least it is not laminate:)