OT - pricing a combi boiler installation

After years of cajoling, my mum has finally decided to change the combi boiler in her ground floor flat (2 bedrooms + CH). One of the options that British Gas gave her was a Worcester-Bosch 24i (The other was a Potterton ProMax 28 HE) The quote which includes installation, a new thermostat and a little pipework and a years "free" maintenance came to £3045. (This price includes a govt. OAP's grant of £300 and some extra dscounts - without them the price quoted was £3750)

When she told me the quote, I was stunned. A quick google shows that the Worcester on it's own is available for just over £500 ex VAT. The Potterton is a little over £600 ex VAT. Now I'm not too concerned with the price of the boiler, but I do think that the extras that bump the price up to £3k are taking the mick. What is the going rate to remove the old combi and install one of these? She lives in London, for the difference it makes.

Thanks Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

Probably about half that, or a little more. BG are notorious for high prices, and (often) bad workmanship,

Find a couple of local people and get quotes; ask around for recommendations.

As an example (outside London, so all prices a bit lower):

BG quoted 3850, less 600 'loyalty discount' for a powerflush, new boiler (same one, actually) and five TRVs.

Local man (who did an excellent job), charged 1900 for the same, PLUS extra TRVs, new pump, several improvements to the pipework, and more TRVs. Only thing he didn't do was the electrics; I did.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Pete,

Had a very rough estimate from BG (the fitter doing the boiler service about a month ago [1]) to change my perfectly serviceable wall-mounted Baxi Solo 2 to a wall mounted combi or condensing boiler ([a semi-detached house] in an attempt to save some hard cash on gas usage) - and that was *£6000*... A load of cobblers and I told the fellow so (very politely as well).

As a matter of interest, if the boiler is still working OK, then why bother to change it? As in reality, it will take many years before any actual savings are made on gas over the capital cost of the thing - in my case, that would be around 57 years on BG's own figures.

Now if the boiler is close to knackered - then that's a different story.

[1] Now to be fair to the fellow, he did say that was a guess, and I'd be better off getting one of their reps to come and give me a "proper quote".

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

I know that when I get mine done I will need to have the rad valves changed - as I have the single end valves (Twinfast) I will have to have some new pipework on each rad. Have you considered such items (work to fit flue, condensate, etc) that is additional to the boiler in order to make it comply. Is the gas pipe in the area 22mm?

Reply to
John

The unit has a history of problems - in the past 12 months it's died twice. She's on a BG service contract (not sure if that was the cure, or the cause of the problems). There are also signs of small leaks - no actual water dripping, just green stains on the pipe, though that's probably not an issue with the boiler itself. Our view that for the sake of £1500 or so (less, with a "warmfront" grant) it would be worth having it changed. As it is, she just went to BG for a free quote. Now we have to persuade her that the quote she got is totally outrageous. If I can, I'm going to get some local installers to quote, but I wanted to know if the savings would be pounds or pennies.

Reply to
Peter Lynch

John,

I've dealt with BG for many a year (and some 20 years of that as part of my old job) and I *KNOW* the the quoted figure is damned extortionate - and I'm well aware of their so called 'extras' - but with a bit of knowledge and haggling, these 'extras' can be turned into 'freebies'. ;-)

Their prices will stand that and still give 'em a damned good profit!

They fitted my Baxi Solo some 12 - 14 years ago and charged me £800 for the pleasure then (not bad for half a days work) - but after telling the sales rep he was "talking through his hat on a few points" we came to the agreement of - an interest free loan, free TRV's, free 3 star maintenance for 4 years and a small rebate in the form of a cheque as a 'loyal' BG customer - so in the end, whilst I didn't have the 'bargain', I kept a fair bit of cash back in the long run and importantly, no quibbles from them when things went wrong.

Will I use them again?

Probably, as at least I know that they give a good service, a reasonable job and no 'aggro' if something goes seriously wrong with the installation inside their warranty period.

With regards to the gas pipe question - no, it's 15mm (what I can see running up the wall) and buried in the damn floor (may be 22mm under there as it also feeds the gas cooker) from the meter at the front of the house to where it exits in the kitchen at the rear.

But as I don't intend to change the boiler until it's knackered (gas bills at the moment are running at around £350 - £400 a year for heating, hot water and cooking), so I'll cross that bridge - *if* it becomes a problem - when I have to.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

OTOH people generally don't think in terms of TCO and just look at their quarterly bills. That can make it worthwhile to change to a combi, particularly in the case of tight old people who remember when a sack of coal was 2 and 6 and heated your house for a week, so they'd much rather freeze to death than pay for the heating to be on.

Reply to
Doki

I'd go to the CORGI website and get a list of fitters in your area. They're probably not over busy at the moment and, if you're flexible as to when the job's done, you should be able to negotiate a good deal. I paid £300 labour for a combi swap, but there was minimal pipework.

IME most fitters over 40 are probably ex BG apprentices. The pipework of the new brigade leaves a lot to be desired

Reply to
stuart noble

Not unless the old boiler is knackered. To change a good, working boiler for a combi/condensing is *not* cost effective in the short term no matter how you look at it! And by time it does become anywhere near cost effective, it's knackered anyway and you have to change that.

particularly in the case of tight old people who remember when

I think you'll find that your statement is both patronising and incorrect. The elderly, especially those existing on just their state pension, very often have the stark choice of either eating or heating - you try "living" on that basic pension for a year and see how you manage!

as a matter of interest, most of the elderly are *NOT* "tight old people" - they lack the funds to be tight simply because they spent most of their money over the years on their children (just like you)! Stop and think you petulant young prat!

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op