OT: Planning permission outside permitted boundaries

OT for uk.d-i-y but there's a helluva lot of knowledge out there, so here goes.

I was brought up near Evesham where my mother's family farmed. As often happens with family-owned farms, over the generations the farm was broken up and now all that's left is a very small farm of about 95 acres. I'm sick of my job and my place in the rat-race, and I fancy trying to live a low-carbon, low-impact life. I'd like to buy out my siblings' share of the farm and try to do something with it a la "Good Life". Please don't comment on my sanity - I already know.

However, the problem is that there's nowhere for me to live. At the corner of one of the fields are some extremely tumbledown buildings but a) they were only ever storage units, and b) they are irretrievably derelict. The farm is outside the boundary of the permitted development area.

Are there any circumstances under which I could obtain planning permission for erecting some sort of dwelling? I could, I suppose, live in a teepee, or yurt, or static mobile home, but I don't fancy any of these and in any case I should have sufficient equity from the sale of my current house to fund building a reasonably decent house. The planning department at Wychavon DC are pretty unforthcoming about how I can proceed. In terms of the visual impact of what I propose - well, I'd be replacing a collection of derelict and overgrown buildings with a modern, well-designed house. What's not to love?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Reply to
edwardwill

Google for "agricultural workers dwellings" and then go and talk to a planning consultant.

HTH

Reply to
Rumble

:-)

Mmm..

Nu Laber and Planning Lore

This may be an expensive situation to address.

First off, what are the facilities like? where is the nearest water and electricity for and absolute minimum. If you got those working I am fairly sure you could at least stick up a mobile home on a pad, and PROBABLY a septic tank to at least get you there, and the current house sold.

I would be absolutely honest with the planning ossifer, and say 'can I put a pad down, some sewage and some electricity and some water, and put a temporary mobile home there until we can sort through the rest?'

I am fairly sure that electricity which might be needed for farm buildings, needs very little planning - at woerst teh electricity board or whataver might need it to put a pole or two to a substation. Do NOT expect this to be cheap.

Likewise for water. wayleave to doig, plus charges for installation of a meter etc. will be the norm. Don't expect this to be cheap either...

Then if you grap some MOT and make an access road, thats yoiur business as well..so far.

At that point you can legally park a camper or caravan there, and possibly a mobile home. Ask.

Now the erection of a proper building with foundations is an entirely different matter. Its usually a blank 'no'.

And that is not within the councils powers to turn into a 'yes'.

You may be able to get around it in one of two ways: apply fir 'change of use' on the buildings that exist, to residential. Once that is done its fairly smooth to apply for demolition and re-erection. Its teh first hurdle that is the greater problem.

The other approach is to claim that what you are putting up is of 'outstanding architectural interest' etc. This sadly means putting up a complete monstrosity. Nice houses like we all want are not of 'outstanding architectural interest' and you also need to spend a fortune ona an architect whose well in with the loveys, to pencil out some ghastly post modern creation, that will be listed before you move in.

You MAY strike lucky and end up with a timber framed olde oake design that gets sympathy.

I would estimate that to get services in, and through ANY sort of planning process would probably dent your budget by £50k. Then allow £100 per square foot floor space for a halfway decent finished cost.

But the starting point has tio be camping out on the planning officers doorstep first, and being sympathetic and nice even when he deserves to have his teeth kicked in.

Other things you may well need to do are firstly to become an expert on planning law. I would also consider contacting the wanker on Grand Designs, and seeing if he could help. If he got a TV program out of it he probably would.

AS probably would anyone else here, myself included.

Also, talk to your MP..if its a question of central government overriding local planning officers, it can be done. A few hundred thousand anonymous donations to the party you expect to be in power when permission is granted are the normal route ;-)

Contacting an architect, is also useful. Sometimes they know how to grease palms..

The key issue is that to get a dwelling where none was before, is the really hard thing. You can increase sizes, you can even move it 100 yards, but you cannot magically live where a cowshed once was. Outside of designated zones, that is essentially impossible. Apart from a few loopholes.

Find out exactly the status of the zone you are in, and give us full details of what the planning people have said. And ASK if there is any problem with a mobile home etc.

You can use the excuse that in nay case the existing buildings need to be repaired or demolished and re-erected.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry to say you have an uphill struggle. There is a general presumption against new development in the coutryside. A dwelling for agricultural purposes can be allowable under certain circumstances. You would need to produce an independently verified business plan showing that what you propose is economically viable. You would also need to show that the agricultural enterprise requires a 24/7 presence on site. A teepee, yurt or static mobile home still needs permission.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Thank you one and all. I've already given up ....

Reply to
edwardwill

So that hi tech cannabis farm fits all the bills really :-)

A teepee, yurt or

But camper/caravan does not?

Hmm.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But only if you can get one to act on a no win no fee basis!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

There's a grand designs where the bloke builds in the woods -

got PP because his job needed him to be there

Reply to
Mogga

There are cases were development has been allowed in the green belt contrary to local planning policy.

This will be contentious, so you will need knowledgeable help from an experienced planning consultant.

dg

Reply to
dg

Took him ten years of fighting to get it though!

Reply to
John Rumm

During which time he lived in a caravan and shelter on site?

Reply to
mogga

I believe so yes...

Reply to