OT- Peak Uranium

having read the Peak Oil thread, and the various responses saying we should build nuclear power stations, it reminded me of an article I read a while ago about Peak Uranium. Have we maybe missed that boat already ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_uranium
I found this bit interesting ...
"According to the OECD redbook, the world consumed 67 kilotonnes (150Χ106 lb) of uranium in 2002. Of that 36 kilotonnes (79Χ106 lb) of was produced from primary sources, with the balance coming from secondary sources, in particular stockpiles of natural and enriched uranium, decommissioned nuclear weapons, the reprocessing of natural and enriched uranium and the re-enrichment of depleted uranium tails."
In the above article, it says France ran out of uranium in 2002.
I'm sure I read or heard somewhere, that China are planning to build 80 nuclear power stations. Have just found another reference, they currently have 13, have 27 under construction, 50 planned, and 110 proposed (whatever that all means).
So I guess china will be mopping up a lot of Uranium demand. You can bet that China are "securing" their supply chain to ensure they get a source of uranium.
So anyway, have we already missed the boat in the UK ?
Will we be building nuclear power stations as the Uranium runs out ?
Thoughts ?
Add pictures here
βœ–

By the time the UK actually gets around to doing anything, we won't have enough power to build the things anyway
--
geoff

Add pictures here
βœ–
geoff wrote:

That's okay, we'll have sorted fusion by the time this lot start building 'em. Thirty years away, it is. And has been for the last fifty....
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Add pictures here
βœ–
John Williamson wrote:

I had a really good porcine aviation pipe dream.
The fusion combustion engine.
ALL the problems with fusion are containment. You can start it but you can't hold it.
So why bother?
Take a really classy internal combustion engine, instead of air it sucks in deuterium. It compresses it and instead of a spark plug you have a laser or summat. BANG. tiny thermonuclear explosion pushes the piston down... out comes helium exhaust to drive a turbocharger..
V8 fusion powered Jaguar..in yer dreams TNP.. :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Umm, have you any idea how much it needs compression? Nice idea though :)
Add pictures here
βœ–
GB wrote:

Lots and Lots. That's why it has a multi stage turbo charger,. :-)

Add pictures here
βœ–
Andy Champ wrote:

good article. However you have ruined my dream :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:23:43 +0000, The Natural Philosopher

Looks over shoulder at DFV wine rack fixed to the wall - conrod bolt failure circa 1983 although the damaged bits are out of sight.
Add pictures here
βœ–

A lot of victoriana still stands, but a lot's failed as well. As with any period, the best has lasted, the worst collapsed or was demolished. What's remarkable about the Victorian period is the sheer quantity they built, and the technological strides and associated risks they were willing to take, risks that would be unacceptable today.
NT
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tabby wrote:

Occasionally I find myself forced to agree with you. ;-0)

Add pictures here
βœ–
One of the reasons I went into the nuclear power business in 1970 was the '60s prediction that oil was going to run out in the 1980's. When it didn't, I became kind of skeptical about forecasters. Some of the models are better than others of course, but it's the ridiculously simple Club of Rome type models that ignore feedback from market prices which get the coverage.
Uranium sources are geographically dispersed. The world economy is becoming more integrated and potential suppliers will always want to trade on a commercial basis. I don't see the French or Chinese making the mistake of running out of uranium.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Also the price of oil has meant that its not been economically necessary to really get so involved in uranium
--
geoff

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/02/2011 23:21, HappyHunter wrote:

Not that important - look at thorium reactors.

Indeed - but none of them dependent on uranium:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/01/china_thorium_bet /
--
Cheers,

John.

βœ–
On 11/02/2011 00:06, John Rumm wrote:

An interesting DIY project, fitting one of those in the garden.
Colin Bignell
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/02/2011 00:06, John Rumm wrote:

Haven't India been trying to get that to work for a while, but so far haven't succeeded ?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/02/2011 13:04, HappyHunter wrote:

IIUC India are planning to build five of them shortly. Not aware of there being any particular problems with the base technology, other than the fact its not mainstream (and that was mostly because it was not of much practical use if you had a weapons agenda in the early days!)
--
Cheers,

John.

βœ–
On 10/02/2011 23:21, HappyHunter wrote:

Proven reserves are 4 million tons.
Estimated reserves are 16 million tons.
Uranium in phosphates, extractable at significantly higher cost (the uranium equivalent of oil shale) 22 million tons.
In about half a millenium we will have to start looking at the 4 billion tons in the oceans.
Colin Bignell
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 23:21:02 +0000, HappyHunter wrote:

China are *well* into "securing their supply" of many raw materials. From trace elements and commodity metals to oil and coal.
Watch out for "The Chinese are coming" 2 of 2 on BBC2. Ep 1 was interesting about the penetration of China into Africa from chicken farming to copper mining.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/02/2011 09:24, Dave Liquorice wrote:

IIRC they've been well "into" East Africa for at least 50 years
Add pictures here
βœ–