[OT] PDP-11 programmer wanted?

I seem to remember there were a few PDP-11 fans on here...

Fancy a job? :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Some students posted this on my FaceBook group and suggested I could do it!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Golly. I used to write C on one of those..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Make sure your 3rd party liability insurance is up to date ;-)

Reply to
fred

from-GE-Canada

C ? Pah! I started on them in assembler, but did hand assembly at times. Not to mention compilers for a couple of languages...

And I have four PDP-11s right here anyway.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you're going to write assembler for the PDP-11, then I can recommend this language:

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yup, seen that. Although I can write it really fast anyway!

That was inspired by PL-360, and I designed a similar one for another architecture - PL-516. The Honeywell 16 series were quite common at the time.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Mid 70s saw me programming PDP11 with ML/1 studying under its Author Peter Brown and his wife Heather at University of Kent. I'll still have my notes - "somewhere"

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Not another one! I didn't know/remember that. As for notes:

Peter died a few years ago but Heather is retired and living in Devon.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Indeed. Twas I that ported it to the 168 in 1978 (Bob Russell had left CERN by then). I was able to write a bootstrapper for booting PDP-11s over data links at the time. That *was* fun.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ever do any BCPL?

Reply to
Tim Streater

PDP-11: luxury. I wrote my first serious code on a PDP-8f. I almost memorised the RIM loader in the end. And I had a colleague who could read assembler straight off paper tape.

Reply to
newshound

I built two of these:

(readable by everyone even if not a FB user)

Reply to
Bob Eager

I used to run the BCPL User Group.

I did compilers for the DECSystem-10, Elliott 4130, PDP-11, VAX, ICL

2900/3900, MS-DOS....also greatly enhanced a Z80 one. Probably some others.
Reply to
Bob Eager

I patched a self-compiling compiler into a PDP-11 in 1982. Once it worked, of course, it just compiled itself. Unless it had a new bug, so I always had several old copies of the compiler.

Reply to
Matty F

This one is in lots of places, but worth reading if you've never seen it...

a/

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hmm, the nuclear industy's still using those - does that give me a warm feeling all over or - NO, Torness just went bang, my mistake.

Posted in Sunny Edinburgh. Actually, that's not the Sun...

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

They were pretty reliable. The University of Edinburgh used them as node processors all over their network. And RJE stations. And frone end processors for their mainframes.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Fair enough, but they're still OLD electronic devices...

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Well I might possibly be hornswoggled. I recall going to a BCPL User Group meeting at Kent run by "Bob" in about 1983 or so. Martin Richard's brother was there IIRC. I was working at SLAC at the time, came along with my nephew Stephen who was a bit green then but went on to found Eidos.

I joined the BCPL User Group for £5 but then heard nothing more. Were you "Bob"? If so ICMFP.

Reply to
Tim Streater