OT - PC Speakers

Hi all. I have an old altec lansing speakers from the first dell I bought ..er 10 years ago. Every sound that comes out of them now has BRRRR sound every 10 to 15 seconds. Is it time to junk them or is it a virus or something?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Change the electrolytics in the amp.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi

The first thing I would do is disconnect them from the computer and connect them to something else. It's a 50:50 chance at the moment that the problem lies either with the PC or your speakers.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

all items in the chain are possibles. As said, try them on something else. Not powering them off the pc are you? That can cause probs like that

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Davao wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Not a fix I'm afraid, but if you do decide to replace them I can thoroughly recommend the Aego M speakers. Bought mine a couple of weeks ago from Amazon.

Not cheap - and I now see the price has gone up by £26!!! - but they really are astonishingly good. Aside from the excellent sound quality, they can produce incredibly loud, neighbour annoying, gut thumping bass, if you're into that kind of thing...

Kind regards

Reply to
Richard Perkin

I bought some (not sure of model designation) and there are the best of the class (PC speakers) I have ever heard. And if you go to their website, they sometimes have some at very much reduced prices for one reason or another. (Damn, if I tell you that, they will have sold out when I want some more.)

Reply to
Rod

Rod wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Indeed. And I do want some more...

Mine are used with a Squeezebox in the dining room (where I'm sitting using a laptop on the table as I write this). Until recently I had a fairly large amp + Monitor Audio floor standing speakers in here, but SWMBO said they had to go, so after a bit of research I bought the Acoustic Energy Aego M speakers. Very pleased, as I said above.

They are so good I'm thinking of buying a further set to (dramatically!) improve the sound on the TV. I'm not into so-called 'home theatre', so want soemthing small but high quality - I already have a good quality sound system in the living room, but because of the room size / layout / geometry it can't sensibly be integrated with the TV. So another set of Aego M's it will likely be.

Bringing this back OT for a DIY group: better planning for audio cabling (and indeed network cabling) before laying an oak floor is something I really should have done. Ah well :(

Kind regards

Reply to
Richard Perkin