OT: Ooh Err Missus!

scribeth thus

Please tell, I must have missed that one!
Cheers
John

Our back garden has a rectangular building in one corner (land was sold off many yaers ago, long before we came here). It is accessed from a nearby side street; used to be a carpenter's workshop, then a taxi control room, then a 'mens health club'!
I got a plumber in to do a really tricky bit of work (he's very good, and it took *him* longer than he thought). Our stopcock was seized so he turned the water off using the external stopcock. We didn't know that the feed for the building in the garden (yes, a brothel) was taken *after* the external stopcock.
He'd parked his van out by the side gate (next to this building) and when he went out to get something, a woman came out and said that the water had gone off (it later transpired that a client had been having an 'assisted shower' at the time). He apologised and said it wouldn't be long, and came back in and told me.
I then related what went on there, and he clearly was very sceptical. As I said, the job took longer than expected, and when he'd finished he knocked on the door to tell them the water was back on. He came back to me looking very shocked: "the woman who answered the door had next to nothing on!".
We soon had a proper stopcock, and no further troubles there. Except that they never had a letterbox (to stop local residents putting nasty stuff through it, as some had, apparently). The local water company wanted to cut them off for not paying the bills they never received, but couldn't gain access. So they dug up the street, and put in an extra stopcock in the street (the other external one was just inside our gate). Then they fitted the piece that cuts off the water. I came home from work to find no water! They fixed that at once and said they'd be back to separate the pipes, but they've never done it.

in Failsworth there's an establishment called Lady Janes. It's right next door to the tesco petrol station they've just built. They advertise along with many other places in the Manchester Evening News too - in the health clubs bit I think... Someone's bought the run down building next door to it, don't know who, but am interested to see what they do with it.

Modern usage controversy More recently, to beg the question has been used by some as a synonym for "to raise the question", or to indicate that "the question really ought to be addressed". For example, "This year's budget deficit is half a trillion dollars. This begs the question: how are we ever going to balance the budget?" This usage is often criticized by proponents of the traditional meaning, but has nonetheless come into sufficiently widespread use that it is now the most common use of the term. The phrases circular reasoning, circular logic, and circular arguments have come to be used in places where logicians would tend to use "beg the question".

You might be losing the battle there. I've heard it used to mean that which it does not time and time again on the TV and radio. Its like the word "fulsome", which meant more or less the opposite of how it is used now. Simon.
Its like

That's not just a misunderstanding though. It's a genuine difference in usage.

We
Shouldn't this be in the thread "Question about domestic sewers"
The Medway Handyman wrote:

"No thanks, I'll DIY it later"

That should have been...
I'm working a week in hand.

Reminds me of the guy that started work in a S+M club and asked if it would be possible to get a sub on the Friday :-)
The Medway Handyman wrote:

This is a DIY group, after all.....
On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 00:41:59 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Sounds like they gave you a hard time.

So, living off immoral earnings then...

Allegedly, many of them didn't but that's a whole other story.

--
Clint Sharp

but, was it well hung ?
--
geoff

On 02/02/2008 20:53 geoff wrote:

Hung like Einstein and with the brains of a horse?