OT - Odd behaviour - stereo / flourescent tubes

Not stricly on topic here, but I'm certain someone here will know the answer.

I own an Altec Lansing dock for my wife's iPod.

is sat on top of the microwave, underneath the kitchen units. In normal operation, everything works fine. However, if I turn on the under-unit lights (which are just flourescent strip lights), none of the buttons on the stereo work. I can't turn the unit on or off, either using the button on the device or using the remote control.

Any ideas why this is happening? What do flourescent lights do that would interefere with the stereo's operation?

Cheers!

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

And obviously I did mean to spell it fluorescent.....

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Bit of a long shot but I suspect that their radiating some interference thats well .. interfering with the controls of your IPod gubbins..

Course to check that out you'd ideally need a spectrum analyser not quite the thing that your average D-I-Y er will have around..

Be interesting to move it away till it does work. It might have some sort of RF controller that is responding to the interference generated. Unless it has some sort of optical control and the light is sodding that around?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Stick something black over the infra-red remote sensor. The light interferance, which has a sizable component of infra-red, is jamming the dock's internal control bus which also is tasked with carrying the information on which button has been pressed actually on the unit!

Reply to
Adrian C

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

The lights are overloading the remote control's input.

Reply to
Alan