OT Nuclear failure UK

They went home in 1947.
We also had Italians but I think they had gone before the war ended.
--
Tim Lamb

One of my favourite photos acquired after my grandmother died some 30 years ago is of her father in a lane with his team circa 1920-30 . Six of them posed in front of a traction engine and his thresher on their way to another job , even discounting the farmers and their workers using horses to bring sheaves to build the stooks to where they awaited the thresher as it made it way around after the harvest a process that could take till snow was falling that is 5 jobs replaced by a combine, saying that the earlier smaller combines often had a crew of two . One driving and another person which when earning pocket money in the summer was sometimes me on a side platform filling hessian sacks tying them off and sliding them down a chute. One being demonstrated here, they look so small now but out in the open you got a good tan after a few weeks.
https://youtu.be/LIDX0UPU2MU

https://youtu.be/LIDX0UPU2MU

GH

We had one! Ours was an Allis Chalmer.
--
Tim Lamb

tim... wrote:

An acre a day is a rule of thumb I've heard many times.
On 15/01/2019 12:07, tim... wrote:

I doubt it. Man and horse need a bit of rest.
Lets say the pair trudge at 2mph. 10,560 feet per hour
From pictures is unlikley a single horse can drag a plough more than at best 3ft wide.
So 31,680 square feet per hour.
or 0.7 acres in an hour.
Let's say they get about 4 hours actual work in with hte erst dnw to catching teh hosre yoking it up, getting to teh field and so on.
So about 2.8 acres in a day realistically.
And that simply doesnt include the other things that need to be done - mole ploughing subsoil breakup and so on.
The fact remains that at the turn of the 19/20 centuries, we could feed in relsative Dickensian poverty around
"In 1801 the population was about 9 million. By 1901 it had risen to about 41 million."
Somewhere in there is the rise of steam power, And trade. I would guestimate that something like 20 million could be fed in the UK without anything more than horse power.
TReember a massive poulation of horses creates an animal feed problem and a massive horseshit problem.
LOTS of pasture needed for the geegees

Single blade isn't it? One furrow at a time.
--
"What causes poverty?" Wrong question. Poverty is our primordial state. The
real question is, "What causes wealth?"

And the man power. Seems a modern farm is now run from an office with a bank of monitor screens showing what's going on .
Hardly any staff left...

--
Tony Sayer

Depends on what the farm produces. Still need quite a bit of harvest labour with tree crops and even with quite a bit of veg production.
On 15/01/2019 23:46, dkol wrote:

The whole family one of my college friends (Liverpool Irish) used to go hop-picking in Kent in the 1950's, it was their only "holiday". Presumably Eastern Europeans will keep the East Anglian farms going whatever happens.

With a minimum of 30k salary for immigrants?
--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

But they won't be immigrants, they will be on temporary visas. Although actually 80 hour weeks on minimum wage (age 25) is £34k. And we'll have got rid of all this Working Hours directive stuff.
I did, genuinely, once work an 81 hour week. Just once.

I have too - and more than once. But it takes a true Tory to want it to be the norm - only for others, of course.
--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

There will undoubtedly be a way to avoid classifying seasonal labour as immigrants.
--

Roger Hayter

Of course. There will be lots of ways to stop what Brexiteers thought they were voting for. If the country is to survive.
--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 11:22:54 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

They'll just have to contract for longer hours then! ;-)
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

On 15/01/2019 12:07, tim... wrote:

Where is a ploughman when you need one?

having lunch in the pub
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 15/01/2019 12:07, tim... wrote:

This seems like a reasonably authoritative figure
http://greenlivingjournal.com/page.php?p 08
"Assuming a well conditioned team, equipment in good repair, and 10 hours in the field, with two 1,500 pound horses, in one day you can expect to: plow 1 1/2 - 2 acres. cultivate (single row) 7 acres. harrow 8 - 10 acres."
1500 lb (680kg) is a fairly big horse, but a full blown Shire or similar runs from 850 up to 1100 kg.

Not really practical for the amount of agriculture we need to feed present day populations. It was the need for food production that saw the first tractors make inroads in WW1 and a whole lot more in WW2, Dad returned to our farm from that older and wiser and able to stand up to his rather bullying father and soon bought a wartime tractor to replace the horse they had. The model a Fordson N type was already being replaced rapidly by the Grey Ferguson with its then revolutionary hydraulic linkage and the Fordons were cheap to acquire.
Up the road from here there is a rare farm that preserves and expands on the old ways but it wouldn’t be practical for most.
https://goo.gl/images/71F5sc
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/agriculture/farming/10765523/Heaven-is-a-horse-drawn-plough-on-Harbridge-Farm.html
At last years Heavy horse event he had 12 in harness at on point which looked quite impressive bearing down on you. Still only 12 horsepower compared to the couple of hundred of a modern tractor. Yes I know that really there are different measurements for HP in reality.
GH

And they need feeding. Many years ago I was speaking to a farmer and this topic came up. He said you had to keep a significant proportion of your farm acreage for growing grass or barley or whatever just to feed the heavy horses.
--

Chris