OT Nokia charger specs

Ok, I'll come clean. My latest project is to try and get my car charger which worked with my old Nokia to work with my new one. It seems that the newer Nokias are very fussy about what you plug into the power socket. Also I can't find the specs for what voltage/amperage it needs.

I have done a little research on usenet and found details of someone who had succesfully modified one of these units, but he was dealing with 2 units one of which worked and had a mod and one which didn't he applied the mod (extra resistor) and all was well.

This unit is based around a MC34063A DC-DC converter.

I have put the thing on the bench and found it is putting out a little over 5V and is certainly capable of supplying 500mA.

I have just put a genuine Nokia mains charger (which I know will charge the phone) on the bench and checked it's output. It was marked as 3+ volts at approx 300mA it actualy gave 4.5V at 300mA.

On this face of it, this doesn't seem that different.

Does anyone know what these modern Nokias actualy need?

Could it be that it doesn't like getting more than 4.5V?

Have just read the back of another mains charger (the one which came with this phone and it says it puts out 8.5V at 800mA).

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Just bought a car charger for a 6100 plus a few later model which was advertised as, and looks like a genuine Nokia item for £7.99 including P&P from Ebay.

But maybe you just enjoy the challenge ? :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

What are your old and new Nokia types exactly. I had a 5510 for years, then got a 8510 last year and they came with identical chargers which are interchangeable. I haven't even used the new charger yet. The phone itself should regulate whatever comes in as it switches itself off when charged. The charger says 3.35v at 355mA but open circuit it read 8volts. so I don't think its going to be that critical.

The new phone also works with the old car charger which is non-Nokia made but designed for Nokia.

rusty

Reply to
Rusty