OT New Monitor update & question.

In message , James R writes

What right minded person uses OE ?

Reply to
geoff

That was always the case - the drivers were for the operating system and installed in that. Talking mainly about older versions of Windows, though.

But you could always check the maker's website to see if there is one specified for your particular use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is TMH right minded - perhaps he's left minded ?

Reply to
robgraham

Maybe left brained?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They weren't drivers, just an update for the monitor scan rates supported. All monitors provide this info over the video cable nowadays (do a search on EDID), so that shouldn't be necessary.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Acorn use the correct name - monitor definition file. But Windose does call them drivers - at least in some versions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

unless you use a KVM switch or similar which blocks the comms between monitor and computer.

Reply to
John Rumm

Doesn't seem to block it here. I get autodetection OK on Windows and FreeBSD at least.

Mind, some ATI cards don't detect monitors on VGA ports if there's a LVM in the way, if that KVM doesn't mimic the load. I had to modify one of my KVMs to do that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Even on ones that do pass information there can be problems for the machines not switched to the monitor when they boot IME. Its often easier to simply specify what monitor is being used in windows and ignore the auto ident. KVM switches need to be quite sophisticated to work these days[1].

Yup, they seem to look for a termination load to sense the display - they do the same trick disabling all the TV out controls unless there is actually a TV connected. Not sure it is particularly helpful really.

[1] and I wish my one would let you change the signal key - it insists on using ctrl twice in close proximity - a right pain with many games!
Reply to
John Rumm