OT - New House Development Names

If the houses are on stilts with boathouse garages, could be quite interesting.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Gillingham is now part of the Medway Towns. Nothing much ever happened in Gillingham, it had no claim to fame unlike Rochester & Chatham.

The council at the time found that Will Adams, the original Shogun, was born there. Will Adams Way appeared on the business park, followed by Yokosuka Way and Ito Way on the link road.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've noticed that "The Poets" estate seems to feature in about every new build chav estate in the country. "Coleridge Close", "Tennyson Way" etc. There are Coleridge Closes in Hitchin, Sandbach, Horsham, Willenhall, Swindon, Worcester, Milton Keynes, Reading, Warminster and Bridgend. Which rather backs up the "every chav estate has one" theory.

There was the "Space" estate in Leicester, with Buzz Aldrin Way, Apollo Walk, Moon Close etc. I think that has been demolished now.

Most places around here seem to have "aspirational" names like "Badger Farm" (aka urban dump) or "The Copse", The Spinney" etc. what the name usually signifies is what was removed in order to throw up some timber-framed houses.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I drive along there quite a bit, and never connected the two Will Adamses!

In Herne Bay, we have an Eddie Willett Road, named after a local roadsweeper and 'character'. Some people moved on to the estate and objected to this, but they gave up after they were apparently intimidated a bit by locals.

There's another estate nearby, built a long time ago. Mostly single brick bungalows (seaside retreats). Very unimaginative, although one road is named after someone (probably the local councillor). The names include:

Morris Ave, Austin Ave, Humber Ave, Crossley Ave, Ford Close, Daimler Ave, Riley Ave, Alvis Ave, Daytona Way, Wolseley Ave, Hillman Ave, Chrysler Ave, Bentley Ave, Singer Ave, Bentley Ave, Vauxhall Ave, Armstrong Square, Talbot Ave...

Some good old names there!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Probably came to them in a flash.

G.harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Liverpool has some of those, and also Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney etc, and the aptly named 'Menlove Gardens'

Yep, that's about the size of it. We have a 'foxes chase' built around ten years ago...of course we all asked what, as one hasn't been seen even walking, in the town for about 30 years.

Some humourous placenames here:

Phil L

> --

Fortunately the names given to developments usually vanish with the sales office.

Why do some people persist in using "Plot Numbers" when the house number is available?

Reply to
John

Right, you asked for it

I raise you ... Sauyunan Mas Road

Reply to
geoff

Mitsubishi Way to follow shortly? ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That could have been done as an anti-war protest.

On the other hand, Sellafield Way in Wokingham, Berks....

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

All named after cars from the 1950's era.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Oh, I know they were around in the 1950s...I remember them! Except that the estate is quite a bit older - 1937 or so. They were all good names back then...that far back. Think there's a Lanchester Close too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

We have a road close to us called badgers walk.

FFS we know they do :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I always thought Leicester missed a trick by tip-toeing around the possibility of having a "Moon Walk" on their estate.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They have raised the ground level slightly, but the main defence is a little dry pond slightly downstream, which at full flow would fill up in minutes.

Reply to
<me9

I once went out with an art student who challenged me to name five artists. I merely went round the roads of a New Malden estate that was on my BCO patch ... Gainsborough, Turner, Van Dyck, Landseer .... She was impressed (but only temporarily)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The estate I'm on all the roads are named after the wards and buildings that used to be in the Mental Asylum that used to be on the site.

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Mark Spice

Just thought - we have "Grope Lane" in Shrewsbury

guess who plied their trade there ...

Reply to
geoff

There is a road of small houses, tightly packed called near me called "Packham Close"

Quite descriptive I thought!

Reply to
Toby

Sure that's not protecting something downstream of it? That is the normal practice, have designated areas to flood to hold back the water which you then release in a controlled manner to stop flooding down stream.

Raising the level and digging a hole strikes me as just maintaining that defence of something downstream whilst making some attempt to reduce the risk to the property already on the flood plain.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice