OT - New House Development Names

Have you noticed what naff names new developments have? (Foxglove Covert, Marigold Valley, etc) Usually inversely related to the environment in which the development is in.

Any gems near you?

Reply to
John

The only correlation i've noticed to the environment is the dodgier the area, the nicer the name...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Like "The Meadows" for an estate built near a water course. "Meadows" as in old, abandoned, water meadows...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oak Close - no oaks near it but there used to be some before the houses were built.

Reply to
PeterC

Bit like political parties - the more Popular - Liberal - Democratic - etc. the more dictatorial they become (and Republican means having a 'king President).

Reply to
PeterC

There is a lane near the Thames in London that used to be called Nagasaki Walk, Who dreamed that one up I wonder? Don

Reply to
Donwill

Zest. In Newton Heath on site of former L'oreal factory With houses called Jive, Jazz, Twist and Flamenco

Reply to
mogga

Electric Wharf - the advert has a picture of a fridge open with a light eminating. Nice to know electricity will be provided ! Wharf since its near a canal basin.

Axis @ dominion plaza in New Stoke Village - all parts of this made up by marketing people. No idea where any of this came from, except its near the area of town called "Stoke". There's the obligatory artists impression of a spanish town square with people sitting round tables in the sunshine. Axis is the first part of the development apparently. Any guesses for the others ? Apex @ dominion plaza Vertex @ dominion plaza Fulcrum @ dominion plaza etc.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

We have a Chimes House _very_ slowly approaching completion. It's built on a site where a V1 landed. Maybe there's still ringing in the ears!

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Like the 'Watermeadows' development near here. Built on a flood plain, mostly abandoned in the 30s when the houses were flooded. It was again flooded in

2000 when tha last remaining property was abandoned. This has now been developed as one of the 'Executive Properties' (not) selling at 3 times the average house price in the area.
Reply to
<me9

They on rightmove? You should get property bee installed and have a look at what prices are doing ... :)

Reply to
mogga

mogga coughed up some electrons that declared:

Seconded - seeing all the historical activity on a property at a glace is most interesting...

Reply to
Tim S

In Nottingham there's 1990 or 80s looking development, with the main through road named "Torvill Drive", with adjoining streets named "Bolero Close", "Dean Close", "Torvill Heights", "Jayne Close" etc. There are even streets named after the people who trained them, skating judges etc.

I have no idea how they sold anyone something so insufferably twee.

Reply to
Doki

E. side of Northampton there's an uphill estate road, Larkrise, leading to...

Reply to
PeterC

Why are they never truly descriptive?

Much better would be:

Lego land estate, Sardine close, Burglar street, Drug dealer crescent, No garden rise, Neighbours from hell boulevard, Tumble down lane, Park it and lose it lane.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Or the Medowhall shopping centre in Sheffield that flooded a year to two back.

Guy

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson@SMTP - snipped-for-privacy@cuillin.org.uk // ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M

4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4
Reply to
Guy Dawson

I'd like to see Carousel

Guy

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson@SMTP - snipped-for-privacy@cuillin.org.uk // ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M

4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4
Reply to
Guy Dawson

"White Van Man Close"

Reply to
John

David in Normandy coughed up some electrons that declared:

ChavvedUp Fiesta Park Bonnet Run Lager Can Alley Ratboi Retreat

At this juncture, this seems topical:

Tim S

Oi! I've got a white van. (I call it my vin blanch) :-)

Reply to
David in Normandy