OT MS Excel

I'm confused! Normally good with Excel, but this has got me puzzled.

Using the formula =(B16*C16)*D16 - where, in this example B16 is 10, C16 is

2.36 * D16 is 1.

So, Excel should first perform the multiplication in brackets, the multiply the answer by D16. So 10 x 2.36 is 23.6. Multiply that by 1 and it's

23.6.

Excel makes it 24.31?

The figures are only a simple example, all the calculations are equally wrong when this formula is used.

What am I doing wrong. Where is my beer?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I copied and pasted your formula, entered the values you said and got:

10 2.36 1 23.6

Finger trouble?

Reply to
Rod

Works fine here. Are B16 or C16 derived from values in other cells? Perhaps one of the cells has been formatted differently (non numerical?) or perhaps some severe rounding going on somewhere.

Sounds like you've maybe scoffed it all! :D

Reply to
Neil

In message , The Medway Handyman wrote

Format cell problem? The '1' may actually be '1.03' but you have formatted the cell to show zero numbers after the decimal point.?

It may not be the D16 that is incorrectly formatted.

Reply to
Alan

OK but the brackets aren't necessary.

Are you sure it's not a rounding error and that the cells are formatted to only display an integer?

You'd get that result with 10 times 2.3649 times 1.028 with the result displayed to 2 decimal places.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

It was a simple formatting error! I'd forgotton I'd formatted B16 to zero decimal places. The 10 was actually 10.3

:-)

Its been a long day...........

But I've found my beer!!!

Thanks all. Sanity restored.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I get 23.6.

Those cheap chinese import versions of Excel arn't as good as the genuine pirated Microsoft versions.

mark

Reply to
mark

And open office is actually BETTER.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't honestly see why anyone would bother pirating Microsoft (The Anti-Competition Company) Corps stuff. OpenOffice is better, and can do mailmerge without a nervous breakdown.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

snip

It makes for a very interesting and satisfying hobby :-)

Since I don't use any of Office's software, I might take a look at it when I get some time. Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave