OT: Motorway lights one cones... in sync?

In message , Andy Dingley writes

Been there done that, I refuse to use motorways in fog now. Few years ago had to go to Hull because a customer's machine calibration had expired locking him out. The weather was truly awful and on the stretch of M62 after the A1 services there were 60 something crashes west bound, a fuel tanker on fire and still had idiots overtaking at speeds that looked over the limit.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

On, IIIRC, some of the Northern (M6?; M62?) Motorways there are effective "Too Close" Road-Markings. At a suitable distance (seven car-lengths(?) there a chevrons painted on the lanes, signage advices 'Leave two chevron gap' (or words to that effect); its noticeable that vehicles leave longer gaps on the sections so marked than on other sections of the motorways .

Around here (Brighton and Hove) there are many Siemens(?) traffic initiated speed warning signs. Approach at , or below, the posted speed lomit and the signage is all black, approach above the spped limit and the black panel displays a 'Speed Limit ' and a 'Speed Camera' illuminated

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Some on the M11, I think around Harlow (don't go there that often but recall seeing them last week on a trip to pick up a large vintage computer!)

Some of those round here...Cliffs End (near Ramsgate) and Birchington. They also have one on the approach to a roundabout at the end of a long dual carriageway on the A299 - saw that this afternoon - warns you if you approach the roundabout too fast.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Loads around Cambridge. What I have always thought would be a good idea would, particularly on ones on the 'school run' would be to have a smiley face appear if you were under the limit. Kids would like watching for the face and there is nothing like 'pester power' to keep parents under control.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

It still reinforces the mistaken belief that "under speed limit = good", "over = bad". Black and white with no judgement or common sense.

A good example is a road near us - it has a big school on it, a couple of zebra crossings, and petrol station plus a few side roads. The limit is 30mph and there is a speed camera a couple of hundred yards before the school. Most of the day you can drive down it at 30 without issue. However a 3:10pm anything more than about 20mph is reckless - there are kids falling out of the place, darting across the road, messing about etc. 20 mins later and 30 is fine again, and after 11pm there would be less risk doing 40 than there would be at 30 during the afternoon. Cameras don't recognise circumstances, and hence don't encourage drivers to think about them.

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

Seems cameras in South Yorkshire are unable to recognise police officers. :-)

Reply to
Roger

They already exist - there's certainly one in Bristol that smiles at you if you're under. Thing is, I'm a moody git and like to piss the little fella off... ;)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

A month or so ago I was on the M62 by Liverpool in fog that limited visibility to 50m at an absolute maximum (i.e. high intensity lights became invisible at 50m) and I was overtaken by a HGV that much have been on its limiter! There was no way any car could have stopped in the distance you could see at that speed, never mind a HGV. Got off at the next exit and waited - I wouldn`t have gone on the motorway at all apart from the fact it looked clear where I joined, and only hit the fog a mile or two down the road.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

M6 Southbound north of Lancaster.

'Tis true. Curiously there is already a two chevron gap when ever I enter that section. B-)

And if you don't have chevrons on the road "Only a fool breaks the two second rule" ie leave a gap of at least 2 seconds between you and the car in front. Easy to count "and one and two".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I tend to avoud motorways/dual carriageways in fog. Several years ago in November I joined a dual carriageway in good visibility, and after 20 miles the visibility deteriorated. Waggon drivers seemed to be staying in the inside lane at that time and I stayed in there too. Traffic slowed to a halt. in this lane. I watched a multiple pile up develop in the outside lane, including one lorry jackknifing and pushing the car two in front of me off the road sideways.

An eirie silence developed once the pile up stopped. We got out, exchanged names and addresses after pulling off the road. The blocked outer lane eventually cleared (the wagon jackknifing appeared to be hit and run by the time dibbles appeared). Another accident occurred in the outside lane. We could hear waggon engines racing, coming towards us, knowing they couldn't stop before the debris, and several did plough into the wreckage. Visibility was about 3 car lengthts, and the temperature was -3, and the road icy.

There's no way I want to be in a similar position again, I avoid such roads if visibility is impaired.

Reply to
<me9

In message , Mathew Newton

I'm a cyclist: I like the ones that display your speed no matter what it is. I do feel offended if some silly car prevents me getting a good run at them though.

Reply to
MadCow

In message , MadCow writes

don't you mean pedestrian ?