OT: Money worries

As I approached the bathroom to wash I was wondering if we should go out for a meal. The expense is what bothers me, every time. But I thought about it and sense took hold and I thought 'of course we can afford an occasional meal out'. Frankly it's ridiculous to imagine we can't. Then I watched my hands as they unscrewed the top from the empty bottle of Carex, put an inch of water in, and shook the bottle. This is so the little bit of liquid soap in the bottom of the bottle, about the thickness of a coat of paint, isn't wasted.

Yes, I go round the house turning lights off. I sneakily nudge the thermostat down when she isn't looking. I freewheel down hill. I buy Morrisons own brand tonic and lavatory paper so cheap I have permanently brown fingers.

When my dad came to live with us I bullied him into letting me dismantle his greenhouse and bring it here, rather than sell it. He was so worried about the expense of the paving flags and what have you. But in his last few years he got massive pleasure from the greenhouse. I seriously think it prolonged his life. Towards the end he lived for it. I'd have to wheel him out to it and leave him there to tend his plants, and just sit, enjoying the birds and bees.

He worried so much about the cost though. He'd cogitate for days about buying grobags etc. Once, in exasperation, I worked out how many grobags he could afford if he spent all his money on them, then calculated how far from here they would reach if laid end to end. I think the answer surprised him. It surprised me. I confronted him with this fact and he grudgingly agreed to get four grobags. The thing is, when you get to the point of needing professional care the state won't bail you out until you're almost penniless -- but then they will. The answer, therefore, is obvious.

Many years ago I was in a queue at the Admiral, a chip shop in Maltby. I idly looked at the sheets of newspaper on the counter, and saw Money Mail's item, entitled 'The last cheque you write should bounce.' Before I had chance to read on the paper was snatched up and used for its primary purpose, and the parcel of chips and fish went out of the door. But I didn't need to read any more. 'The last cheque you write should bounce.' How very true.

Even further back in time, I was in the habit of hitching a lift to London to see my girl, since petrol had gone up to 4/6d a gallon. One time I got a lift in a big posh car. The guy wanted to moan. As we touched 90 he told me how he was like a mouse on a treadmill. "The more I earn the more they spend. Cars, horses, a swimming pool, there's no end to it." His wealth was not bringing him happiness. He dropped me off at Staples Corner, reached across to the glove compartment, and said, "Here. Rather you have it than them." It was £50 in fivers. At the time I was earning £13 a week.

I have a theory that I call my 'rocket fuel theory'. In essence is states that any penny I save now will be inherited by my children. They in turn will pass it down to their children. They, when they are old, will decide that there is no point in leaving any money to their descendants, so they will spend it on commercial space flights. Each hard-earned quid of mine will move a spaceship about an eighth of an inch towards Mars. I, meanwhile, will be in a happy state of non-existence, which is probably the only way I can ever not be worried about money.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Frewheeling down hill, contrary to popular opinion, does not save fuel. If you are freewheeling (technically illegal) then the engine is ticking over and using fuel; if you are rolling in gear (legal) the fuel supply is cut off so no fuel is used and you are not using your brakes so much as the engine is aiding the braking.

Win-win?

Reply to
Woody

Well a few observations. Spend the money as if either of you end up in a care home you will be skint within a couple of years anyway.

Also, who cares once you are gone. you might as well enjoy it. I'm thinking along these lines as I get older and there is only me and the house, so thinking lets build loads of stuff and buy stuff and then when I keel over they can take the money out of the thin aire as I will either be so doolaay to be past caring or dead, in which case I have no input other than my will! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Was this true for cars with mechanical fuel pumps? My memory is hazy now, but I believe I once freewheeled down a long hill in North Yorkshire. I started off in neutral with the engine off, but the brakes started to get hot, so I went into third gear (second on steep parts). At the bottom I tried to start the car but couldn't. I thought that I could have flooded the engine with unburnt fuel. I think that I eventually got the car to start by keeping the accelerator pushed down and the engine turning over on the starter until most of the petrol had cleared from the cylinders and the spark plugs worked again.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

If the car has a carburetor, the high inlet manifold vacuum sucks petrol wh ich is wasted if the car is in gear overrunnung downhill

Freewheeling out of gear solves this problem.

Petrol injection solves this problem too.

Reply to
harry

When the engine DID start, it's a wonder that the subsequent explosion of petrol vapour in the exhaust pipe didn't blow it apart!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

It depends on the quality of the exhaust pipe. Some years ago (probably early 1970s) I was driving along in the early hours of the morning when the engine started to misfire and eventually died. I tried to start it again and it fired first time and ticked over nicely, but when I attempted to pull away it stopped firing, and when I took my foot off the accelerator it idled.

I recognised the symptoms (I had experienced this before in another car[1]). The capacitor in the distributor had failed in an open circuit condition. This meant that I was getting one weak spark instead of the usual rapid series of strong ones. So it would idle, it would run at small throttle openings, but larger throttle openings let more fuel/air into the cylinders which raised the compression and the weak spark was snuffed out. Having worked this out, I reckoned I could get to my destination if I drove gently, and in the morning I could buy a replacement capacitor.

So I set off, and by listening to the engine I got the hang of where the cut-off throttle position was, and cruised along at just below that point, which gave me about 45mph on the level road, a bit more downhill and a bit less uphill. Not a lot on the open road sections and too slow for motorways, but I knew I would get home OK on the main roads. I trundled along on virtually empty roads (there wasn't a lot of traffic late at night in those days) for a couple of hours.

In my mirror I saw a car come out of a side road behind me. It was a winding bit of road with double white lines, so there were no overtaking opportunities. The other car didn't corner as well as mine, so I made some space on the sharper bends and he tailgated me on the straighter bits. Then I came to a fairly steep downhill that had an uphill crawler lane then a passing lane, but a single lane downhill separated from the uphill lanes by double white lines. The car behind couldn't overtake and sat a foot from my back bumper with his headlights on main beam. I knew I wasn't quite on the go/no go throttle point so I put my foot down a fraction more to get more downhill speed, and then I overdid it slightly and the engine stopped firing, so I lifted off gradually until it fired again.

At this point, the fuel/air mixture in the exhaust exploded and 30 feet of bright yellow flames went across the bonnet of the car behind, up his windscreen and over his roof. The flamethrower effect only lasted about

3 seconds, and in that time the car behind had stamped on the brakes and was screeching to a halt and I went round the next bend and he was lost from view. I bet he thought his car had caught fire, because I never saw him again. I trundled on and eventually got safely to my destination.

I did check over the exhaust in the daylight next morning. It was completely undamaged. [1] This is rather different from the first time I had a capacitor fail a few years earlier. When I lifted off in that car there was a loud bang followed by a loud exhaust sound, because the silencer had ripped open for just over half its length.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Oh dear. Not even wrong...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1

The only time long distance engine retardation might not be a 'good idea' is on a 2/ where you may starve it of oil? Given that few cars are 2/ these days ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

LOL. I like the image of a flamethrower blasting across his bonnet, scaring the other driver to death. It reminds me of the time when my exhaust pipe severed with a loud ping right next to the manifold, as the tension in the pipe ripped it so there was a gap of a couple of inches. I was about 30 miles from my destination and it was a Sunday in a rural location, so I knew there'd be no Kwikfit open. So I carried on driving, fairly gently to keep the exhaust roar down to a tolerable level. All went well until I got stuck behind a Sunday driver who was pootling along at 30 on a rural A road. I knew there was a short section of straight road ahead which would be the only chance of overtaking, and the gods were smiling on me: there was nothing coming the other way. Without thinking, I instinctively changed down, floored the accelerator and overtook. The noise was horrendous, like a hundred motorbikes. The bonnet and the windows were throbbing. The Sunday driver's car swerved and then lurched into the verge (I could see this in my rear-view mirror). When I got caught up in a traffic jam further ahead, he eventually caught up with me (so the overtaking had been a bit pointless, but I wasn't to know that) but he kept a *very* long distance between him and me.

The ignition of fuel in the exhaust system and the opportunities for impressive flamethrowers stopped when cars changed over from carburettors to fuel injection. In a car with a carb, it would carry on sucking fuel and air in, even if you turned off the ignition for a moment. The cylinders and then the exhaust fill up with unburned petrol vapour. Once you turn the ignition back on and start producing sparks again, you could get a magnificent explosion - and at night the flash from the exhaust pipe could be seen. Can't do that with injection because the injectors switch off until you turn the spark back on, so there's no unburned petrol.

Reply to
NY

I had a similar situation on a moped but not because the cap had failed but because the wire that was soldered to the top of the cap and work hardened with vibration and snapped off. ;-(

I managed to get to the cap and wire though one of the holes in the magneto / flywheel and scratch a slot in the solder and remove the shellac from the end of the wire and then peen it into place with the screwdriver and a rock found by the side of the road. That got me home at full speed, rather than having to pedal all the way. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If you think that's right try turning the ignition off whilst freewheeling down a hill.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

There was a hill near where I went to college and just for devilment, when going home from the ladies' halls at 2am I would go down it in gear but with the ignition off, then turn the ignition on. The bangs were fabulous.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Look's like Leslie Grantham managed it,

and the press are making it out to be a bad thing

tim

Reply to
tim...

I'm guessing that happened shortly before Labour came in and introduced the 98% top rate of income tax and everyone with any sense f***ed off elsewhere.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

nothing wrong with 98% tax, most earning that sort of money don't use it. They live on expense accounts etc.

Reply to
critcher

What a lovely photograph!

Quite. The people who paid that rate then were earning the 2016 equivalent of £190k, and within then living memory the rate had been higher during WW2 - my heart bleeds for them not.

Java Jive

??? Maybe they don't "use it" because they're putting it away for some future rainy day time when they may no longer enjoy the same earning potential!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

May be they're just very rich people who can well afford to pay such a high rate of tax.

Reply to
Java Jive