OT Missing Posts

Hi
I keep missing the OP in a thread and some complete threads - although I can see them online.
I'm using OE6 - would that be it? Would I be better off using Firefox to read NG's?
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

You are using blueyonder and get exactly the same as me. Some days, loads of posts go missing and I only know they have been made when someone replies.
Also some in here seem to be killfiled although they are not.
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:50:07 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"

Could be a combination of a short keep-time on your news server and a not-regular-enough connect frequency by you. If your news server only keeps messages for e.g. 3 days after arrival you need to connect at least this frequently to not miss posts (or change news server).
OTOH, does OE perhaps have an automatic deletion schedule? E.g perhaps it deletes read posts after 5 days. If so that may be removing the earlier posts in a thread.
If none of the above applies, you could try changing news server anyway.

although I can

Firefox to

only
TOOLS >OPTIONS>MAINTENANCE and you then have a box to set the period before deletion
AWEM
James Hawkins wrote:

I'm confused now. I get on to the group every day.

Nope, I can see threads tha go back ages.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Have you ever reset the local file for your subscribed groups? Right click on the NG name in the left pane>properties>local file>reset
This will delete all old posts and re-download new headers...you may be out of memory allocated to OE

What you want to do is open the Tools drop down menu, select Message Rules > News, New rule, "Where the message was sent more than days ago" and then set it to delete messages after X number of days from being sent. You make it delete already received messages retrospectively.
This took me bloody ages to figure out :-)
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:50:07 GMT The Medway Handyman wrote :

Virtual Access www.virtual-access.org is open source and free and does a great job as a newsgroup reader. It builds a local database of messages on your own machine that you can go back and search at a later date.

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:50:07 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
|Hi | |I keep missing the OP in a thread and some complete threads - although I can |see them online.
Use news.individual.net at a near 10 Euros per year. Text only | |I'm using OE6 - would that be it? Would I be better off using Firefox to |read NG's?
No IME you would be better off using Agent.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*

I disagree.
Switch to Agent is the usual tune on Usenet, and I tried Free Agent for while but found, amongst other things, that it did not display the posts as I would like. The various configurations I desired were only available in the paid for version. It was as though they designed quite a good application called Agent and then turned every setting back to front and gave that away as the free version as a come on.
And the paid for version is not a one off purchase, it's an annual subscription. So I'm back with OE 6. Free.
Roger R

And worth every penny.
--
"Other people are not your property."
The Medway Handyman wrote:

can happen either if someone adds a cross-post to this group mid-thread from somewhere else, or as you suspect, if your ISP's news server is a bit tardy.

where online? do you mean e.g. google groups

I'd certainly say ditch OE6, if you want the firefox equivalent it is called thunderbird, or as someone else has mentioned Fort Agent or FreeAgent (I used to use Agent and it was very good, but not used it in years, so can't comment on recent versions)
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:28:41 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

I would throw 40tude dialog into the mix ( http://www.40tude.com/dialog/ ) , freeware for private users. Its the newsreader that finally got me to switch from OE.
Thunderbird is a very good mail client, but just isn't there yet as a newsreader imo.
Steve
Steve wrote:

I tend to agree with that, but I put up with it's lack of features c.f. Agent just to keep usenet under the same hat as email.
Andy Burns wrote:

Its more than good enough for me...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I'm not saying thunderbird's bad, just that there are areas when Agent was (and presumably still is) better, I don't use Agent anymore, I'm afraid Fort's "wilderness period" lost me as a customer ...
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Mine go missing sometimes too, I use google groups and they dont always see the light of day. Are the missing OPs in those threads google group users too?
NT
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Chances are your news server is not doing its job as well as it might. You may even see cases where propagation from some ISPs servers is worse than for others. This can result in some individual posters being dropped more frequently than others.

It is unlikely to fix this particular problem. Switching to a different news server would help more.
--
Cheers,

John.

This happens with my ISP (Demon) when collecting news via the NEWNEWS command. It offers article- -ID's for some articles that are actually not ready to be collected from the news spool (by about a few minutes). Around about 1-2% of the articles in any large download now, although it did reach over 5% at one time. Having offered the ID of a missing article, it will never offer it again (normally).
So the trick I have to do is to reach into the news collecting software and set the day/date/time of the last download back by one hour, and recollect about an hour later. Backdating the d/d/t fools Demon into re-offering the missing articles, which should now have reached the spool, ready for collection.

Dig into OE6 and see if you can edit the time of the last download. If not find another news/mail reader.
By the way, backdating the time of the last fetch should not cause *all* articles to be re-fetched because any decent newsreader will maintain its own history of article-ID's already collected.
--
Tony Williams.

Sounds like it is your ISP's news server. Mine does this from time to time. I switched to http://news.datemas.de/ and haven't missed a post yet and its free.
Steven