OT: lighting a bonfire

Thought the group might be interested in the novel use of one of my workmates (B&D) in helping me to light my annual bonfire. Lots of wood from my recent bathroom renovation helped.

deckertim

Possibly the most interesting way I have seen a bonfire lit was 2 years ago at the local private school near Bristol(we blagged some free tickets)... It was pouring down with rain yet the bonfire was still lit with relative ease thanks to Mr. Cameron of Bristol based "Cameron balloons" using a hot air balloon burner.

Reply to
PeTe33

The message from "Pet_@_www.gymratz.co.uk_;¬)" contains these words:

My son did my brother's bonfire with flint and steel this year.

Reply to
Guy King

The fire went up well - I take it petrol was involved?...

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I went to a large beach bonfire on Seasalter beach. The houses each have their own bit of beach. The guy rigged a string from the bonfire to a pole in his back garden. Attached rocket to string, sliding on a couple of rings.

Ceremonial lighting of rocket...whoosh!...bonfore lit (I think he'd added a bit of accelerant).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh I like that!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

One I remember from Scouts was the power of thought. I reality a cup of petrol with wire wool in, connected to a car battery by a buried cable.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Thats how the large bonfire in Worcester is lit every year by the Mayor.

Dave

Reply to
gort

I should have said...this was about 30 years ago!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Excellent trick. :¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

The message from "Pet_@_www.gymratz.co.uk_;¬)" contains these words:

If you take a ball of wire wool and scrunch it up and tie it round the middle with a length of wire you can then light it and whirl it round your head. This forces enough oxygen into it so it'll stay lit and you look like a Catherine wheel.

Don't do this near the car.

Reply to
Guy King

Yeah - excellent!! Let's have the component-by-component breakdown: was it a crossbow-type bolt or something?

David

Reply to
Lobster

The fire was stoked with some petrol, but only a couple of pints as that is all I had.

The catapult was made with two uprights 2*1 wood driven into the ground with about 30 linked elastic bands trebled up tied between them. My B&D workmate was then used as the rest to hold the arrow.

The arrow was made from bamboo. With fletches(I think this is the right word) made from ice cream carton pushed into the split end. The end was then taped up with electrical insulating tape. The end was some cloth taped in place and soaked in white spirit.

I have been having a firework party for the last 4 years and have tried a flaming trail made out of petrol soaked cloth. A zip line suspended from a tree, with a flaming ball descending. And last year a explosive detonator with a large detonation box with a plunger. All of these have had some technical problems, much to the amusement of my guests. So this year was a truimph. I am already thinking of ideas for next year.

Thanks Tim.

Reply to
deckertim

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

IRTA troll and thought "What a good way to deal with them".

Reply to
Guy King

Why not use a regular arrow with impregnated cloth at the pointy (for the sake of the unitiated) end?

Mary>

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Not everyone has a "proper" arrow lying about. They're not cheap you know.

Reply to
Guy King

We make our own! They cost almost nothing :-)

A bit of dowel, some forged steel (doesn't take long) for the tip, shape some horn for the notch, fletching from saved turkey, goose or pheasant feathers stuck on with bluebell sap and secured with thread.

Easy!

This is a D.I.Y. group ;-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'd always wondered how arrows were made...

Reply to
Schrodinger's cat

You are Maid Marian and Spouse is Robin Hood and I claim my five pounds.

Thinking of which does spouse have a name or do you call him that to his face? :)

Reply to
Matt

It's been a long time since I was a maid!

He has two baptismal names, We do call each other "Spouse" occasionally but more frequently "Darling". We refer to each other by our names when talking to others (as well as "Mum", "Dad, "Grandma" and "Grandpa" according to the company) but on Usenet we're always Spouse.

It came about when I was writing an anonymous monthly magazine article and 'Spouse' was used to avoid detection - it continued a tradition of the column. We like it. The magazine no longer exists but the tradition continues :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher