OT: Leaving Virginmedia...

I will shortly be moving house after almost 15 years of Virgin (formerly NTL) services. Unfortunately the new address is not served by Virgin so I will be unable to keep subscribing to their services.

I would however like to keep my e-mail address, anyone know if this is possible?

Reply to
Rob

Not for long. You get 90 days grace to cover the transition to a new provider; then they close your mailbox(es).

Reply to
Robin

Of course, assuming you weren't unwise enough to use a virgin email address.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Now would be an excellent time to buy a domain :)

I've had my domain since the 90s and I'm on my 3rd ISP. I host my own email, but there are plenty of email hosts that will accept your own domain, including Google Apps for Work if you don't mind paying a modest amount (which gets a lot of other benefits too).

Reply to
Tim Watts

It took them around 2 years to close my e-mail accounts. Unfortunately I was daft enough to junk my log on details. so I have no idea how much important mail ended up there.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Virginmedia threw me out about 14 months ago, along with thousands of others, because they wanted to concentrate on their cable business and ditch ADSL. They said that those people who were happy to be moved to TalkTalk, VM's preferred choice, would be able to keep their e-mail addresses for twelve months, but those who chose to go to another ISP would only be able to keep their e-mail addresses for four months. I chose to go to BT.

My Virginmedia e-mail address still works after 14 months and I still get occasional messages there and I can also send messages, although

99% of my messages are via my BT address. I expect VM to cut me off at any time, but it hasn't happened yet. I do wonder if they've just forgotten. Whether you would be as lucky, I've no idea, but I wouldn't imagine they'd just cut you off immediately anyway, although the way I and the thousands of others were summarily dismissed, I wouldn't put it past them.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

I had a subscription dial-up account with Virgin before I got broadband with Plusnet in about 2002. The Virgin email account is still working and I use it as a "throwaway" email address to quote to web site when registering with them, where I may get lots of spam.

Reply to
NY

The address is ntlworld.com. It was from before they were subsumed into Virginmedia and signup at the time was free, no services required, just happened to have a (dial-up) account with them which migrated to broadband and became VM.

Reply to
Rob

Time to change your email to gmail etc so you don?t get that problem again.

Reply to
John Akers

No its officially not. It will remain working for some months from what I've heard from others. I think this is why so many people now use portable addresses, either on a purchased domain name or via google Yahoo etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you don't control the domain the third party that does can do what they want. Not that I expect google/gmail to fail but stranger things have happened.

Also as the OP has an ntlworld.com address that is hosted by google/gmail and all manner of weirdness can ensue if you try and use the same ntlworld email address as the "user id" on another account.

Personally I don't like google snooping on my mail or the way google snoops/tracks you anyway. Much better to get your own domain name, control of the DNS for that domain and host your own MX machine.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The vast majority just "go with the flow" and don't realise even simple things like having a physical line from BT doesn't mean that you have to get your internet from BT. That getting your internet from company X doesn't mean you have to use company X's email (though some make it difficult not to). That you don't have to use a third party for your email or website, etc etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Frying pan. Fire.

HTH ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wodney, you claim to know all things computer, but not about having your own domain? You should look into it. Gmail is just as bad as any other, and nowhere near as good as some.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That has been my experience. Talk Talk were awful and of course these companies always rob their loyal customers so we were paying way too much month after month.

The email still worked last time I checked though.

Tim W

Reply to
TimW

How might I go about doing that? I'm guessing I don't just need to purchase the domain, I need to purchase a web or email hosting package?

Reply to
Rob

You see an incredible number of companies with such ISP-based emails addresses, even some which are considerably more than one man and a dog outfits.

Reply to
polygonum

Well, Google Apps for Work is £3.30 a month (per user):

and you can bind your own domain to that. Not the cheapest, but it does buy you other benefits across the Google Suite and your email is now basically Gmail with a dress on (so good spam filtering, webmail, smpt/imap etc).

An intermediate solution that is more or less "free" is to use the domain registrar's DNS and email services:

With 123, you can set various @yourdomain.com to forward to a physical email service (eg normal Gmail, your ISP's email etc). Then at least you can change that if you change your physical email hosting.

Then there are other pure email providers, which I have no experience of personally, such as:

Lots of options - feel free to come back with any more questions...

Cheers, Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

and even Google won't be around for ever.

Reply to
Bob Martin

If it isn't, someone will have ended up with the gmail addresses.

Reply to
John Akers