(OT) Leaky pipe irrigation with a water butt?

Has anyone used leaky pipe irrigation connected to a water butt? I am thinking of doing it but wonder how much I can use with a water butt behing it rather than mains pressure.

BTW - I haven't installed the butt yet, I can get it up to 1.1 meters off the ground if necessary.

Nick

Reply to
NickW

The pipe is the most crucial part of this type of system. If it has holes that are to large, then you empty the supply in a few hours or minutes. If the pipe has tiny little holes it will allow the water seep rather trickle and this is what you want. All that's needed is to keep the soil slightly moist around your planting, and not to have your plants swimming home after a down pour.

I think it's called Osmosis:

BigWallop

I havent tried it, but have doubts. You have very little pressure there. I expect the slightest bit of muck would make its way to the tiny holes and block them. Good luck!

Unless you run a timer on it, and dump rapidly once a day or something.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

The leaky pipe system uses a porous pipe:

there are no holes to get blocked up. I would use a filter on the water source (stuff is bound to wash off the roof into the water butt).

A barrel of water (900mm high, 600mm dia) raised 1m off the ground should provide enough pressure no?

Nick

Reply to
NickW