OT: Lazy retirement

Today I have: Collected together photographs from various sources for an album I'm going to make Prepared lunch for three Tidied the kitchen Done two hours outdoor DIY Took the dogs for quite a long walk Sat with the old feller for half an hour with two coffees and listened to his tales Done some indoor painting Done two loads of washing Prepared dinner for three Prepared some paperwork for a meeting tomorrow Put some Christmas cards up on strings at marital gunpoint Changed the toners in the laser printer Tidied the utility room Farted about on the newsgroups Got to page three of the Times Fed the dogs.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Impressive. You really should be back at work --- drinking tea and doing the crossword; much less strenous.

I spent the afternoon teaching my brother the basics of woodturning.

The only thing I did do at marital gunpoint is to clear the deepfreeze of bags of sloes and start 4 litres of sloe gin. Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

I bet Adam's women didn't do half that between them.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Bill Wright scribbled

I've put your name down

Jonno

Luxury!

Reply to
Peter Crosland

That day, (yesterday) I washed the cars. Today, naturally, it's gonna rain. I can control the weather. :-)

Reply to
harry

In message , Bill Wright writes

When I was still working, I hated newly retired friends telling me they had no idea how they found time to work. What a stupid thing to say, I thought. Now I understand. The time just goes. No idea where, but it just does.

Part of the answer, I think, must be evenings. We tend not to do 'stuff' in the evenings, which is why we have started watching TV for the first time in years (Kellie was robbed), and we go to bed later.

Reply to
News

and we have time to read newsgroups

Reply to
charles

In message , charles writes

Well, yes :-)

Reply to
News

In message , Bill Wright writes

  • Struggled to solve problem of pasting into Thunderbird - but failed.
Reply to
Ian Jackson

This just demonstrates the old adage you often hear from us retired folk. How the heck did I ever have time for work? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

'''

With some folks it's ...

get out of bed, make the tea, absorb the daily mail spiel hate at the young have lunch watch TV have supper watch TV goto bed

and variations inbetween. Everyone is different (but well done)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I am about to discover that. In theory I'm working until the 31st, but in fact I have cleared my office!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Takes at least 6 months to get used to not getting up for work especially on Monday morning but in the interim I can highly recommend it.

One tip: keep busy, join groups like the U3A, travel, etc or you will get very bored very quickly.

Reply to
Woody

Doing SFA is luxury.

Reply to
Martin

I still have dreams that I go to work and can't find my office. Locating my office is confusing because the person who replaced me has the same surname.

I haven't and don't get bored.

Reply to
Martin

+1 (but maybe I'm simply an idle, easily-amused, boring type of person).
Reply to
Ian Jackson

I was always out on jobsites, and I once came back to the office to find that my stuff had all been put away in a cupboard somewhere, as nobody knew where I was. I never found it.

Another time, at a different company, I went away on holiday for a fortnight, and when I came back, there was somebody else in my cubicle, and all my papers were gone, never to be found again. Only documents stored online were recovered.

Now I'm retired, and don't have those problems.

Reply to
Davey

The same thing happened to me once for similar reasons.

My daughter's boss took maternity leave, when she returned to work she discovered that there had been yet another reorganisation and that she was no longer a boss. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Reply to
Martin

It's your brain trying to come to terms with rejection, uselessness and lack of control.

Tell yourself they don't matter, and count your pensions.

Reply to
Norman Wells